1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic P-bass Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, May 16, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ok Ladies and gentlemen,

I just pulled the trigger on a "genuine" fender replcement '57 P body from Elderly instruments. Apparantly they've had this body in stock for a loooong time (the pick online in the neck pocket shows jan. 2000). But the also marked it down $100 bucks. You can't beak a body and a nitro finish for that price! - unless you do it yourself - and in NYC with no booth or equipment - I'll take my chances with this deal. So I spec'ed out the project and it comes to about $900 not including shipping. Let me know what you guys think. I have a Dirnt P that I will let go for this one - hey i consider this an upgrade! I'm going for the classi p-bass tone - full and deep. I play NYC indie rock with a strong influence from Fugazy and Joy division. I really think this will mate rather well with my avalon and QSC - now all I need is a damn cabinet!

P-Bass Project

Fender genuine replacement '57 P-Bass body

USACG 1/4 sawn all maple neck with a thickness on the back of the neck. (I will finish it myself in nitro from Reranch)

Nordstrand NP4

Hipshot Vintage brass 4 string or Mannmade 4 string bridge (I can't decide - but each has a very different sound)

Schaller 1/2" fender style tuners (may replace them for hipshot's superior classics with a 27:1 gear ratio.)

Gold Anodized pickguard

So there it is. The thumper.

Now all I really need is a small wattage ampeg b15 clone to run through the U5's speaker input - nothing like b15 tone at 1600W!!! :eek:

New projects make me excited! :hyper:

~Mike

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Should be quite the project...keep us posted! ;)