Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

classic rock/blues fiver?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a five string bass again. I had a couple Ibanezes but they really didn't do much for me. I'm thinking I need something with a big fat booty and really not a hifi type sound. I really like the sound of my old G&L SB-2 with the TI Flats, but I'm not too sure how it compares with some of the other stuff around. I guess a P sound is what I'm looking for? But I don't like the looks of a P-bass. The pickguard on those makes me not want to pick it up. I also want two pickups. One pickup is probably all I REALLY need, but I'm going to feel like I'm missing something if I don't have two on there. And probably a more narrow string spacing at the bridge. I felt that the BTB405 I had was really a bit too wide for my comfort.

Budget wise, I'm not sure. I'm positive I won't be shelling out $3000 for a bass anytime soon, but if I found my perfect fit, I may be willing to spend $2000. It would have to really be perfect though for that much money. Then again if what's calling to me turns out to have a disrespected name on the headstock, I'm not too proud to play that..

2. The bass I would recommend you look at is a G&L L2500. With the neck pickup soloed, it sounds very much like a P, but it does not have a pickguard, and it has two pickups. Also, it is in your price range. Good luck.

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Oh man! I nearly snagged on from Ebay a while back. Will the tribute fill the bill or is the US model worth holding out for?

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Sadowsky Metro

Rob

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Fender Roscoe Beck 5

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The two I would reccomend are the Metro (Sadowsky) in a rosewood/alder with the vintage tone control, or the new Lakland Daryl Jones 5 with the J-retro Pre (factory option). I've got the metro and personally can't immagine a better sounding blues/r&b/classice rock bass, and EVERY TIME I play at blues jam sessions arround town, I have bass players blown by my sound(not my playing), and asking me questions about the bass. As far as the lakland goes I've played the four and was very impressed and DJ"S using the same bass with the stones, you can't get any more classic then that! I've also played some Lakland Joe osborn fivers that were cool.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    That metro really has my interest. I've heard how great it's supposed to be and all, but I didn't realize that it was the type of sound for me. Those are supposed to be pretty versatile too aren't they? I just may have to start shopping or a used Metro. May take 2 or 3 months to be ready with the cash but knowing what to look for helps a ton.

8. Hmm, if the Ibanez BTB neck felt too wide for you, I expect the Metro and the Lakland might be the same, since they all have .75" spacing at the bridge. Not sure how much different they are at the nut, though.

The G & L 2500 has narrower spacing -- definately worth checking out if you like your current SB-2.

Another option that I usually like to suggest is shopping for used basses. Based on the sort of sound you say you like, I have a notion that you might really dig the Roscoe 5's, and they can be found used for under $2k on a regular basis. Just a thought...

Good luck!
    Mike

9. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I almost always buy used! I didn't know the Metro was .75" spacing. It was the spacing at the bridge that I didn't really like. I don't care for the 4 string jazz neck much either because it feels too small. picky picky picky...

I'll have to check into the L2500 and Roscoe some more. I see those bases being suggested in a lot of threads for different stuff.

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I see a few L5500's on Ebay. How do they differ from the L2500?

11. The L2500 has a 5-string version of the L2000 pickups and electronics. The L5500 is an earlier model that has EMG pickups and an EMG 2-band EQ.

Mike

12. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Y'all ROCK! Thanks for the input and info guys, I think I now have a plan. No L5500 for me, the G&L pickups have got to be the way to go.

The Dallas Guitar Show is coming up in April, and I expect to see Buffalo Brothers there. Last year I bought a guitar from them, and they do a 100% trade-up on anything they sell. I still have the receipt and everythings still in perfect condition, so I have $370.00 sitting in a case over here toward an L2500 from them. In the basses section of Buffalo Bros site, G&L Tribute just say they have way too many to list. I should be able to find on I like at the show! I think I'll drop them a line asking them to please bring a blueburst L2500 ;)

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I recommend either a Lakland Skyline 55-02, or I'd search for a great deal on a used Lakland 55-94.

-Art