Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classic Rock/ Modern Rock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nanook, Feb 8, 2002.

Which is Best?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2002.
  1. Classic

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Modern

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Lets make the split at about 1980 just for the poll.

Classic Rock soothes my soul.

As far as I'm concerned, there haven't been more than a dozen good songs recorded since the mid 70's. It's like all the good note progressions got used up and now there is nothing left except the Brittany Spears and In Sync type of junk. Thank God we at least have Incubus.

What once was a bubbling cauldron of funk is now a slimy skim of cold tasteless music.

What is your opinion?.....about the subject, not about my comments.

2. Like theres any competition. I can think back over the last 40 years and probably think of 100 awesome rock bands. I could look back over the last 10 years and think of maybe 5.
    In the words of Jim Morrison, Rock Is Dead!
    Jim

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Hope springs eternal that new and exciting music will surprise and delight us this year or the next or the next.

One suspicion that I have that may be putting a damper on the creativity of music is that truly innovative music is stifled by media conglomerates and large radio chains that do not want to risk investing in something fresh, but unproven.

These media conglomerates have an iron grip on mass exposure of new styles and new artists. If they don't like an act or think their music is not "commercial" enough, they will not throw their mega marketing powers behind the act.

There may be, in fact, I'm sure there are, intriguing new groups out there taking new approaches to music or providing the seeds of a new style or movement, but we may never know because such acts cannot get beyond a small regional or cult following.

Few groups can succeed without mass marketing. Such groups often get discouraged or go broke before they can ever create enough "buzz" for their act before a media giant will finally believe in their commercial viability and give them the national or global push they need.

Is that a cynical appraisal of the situation? Yes, it is. Are the media giants greedy and self-centered? Sure. Their top execs probably aren't a whole lot different than the top Enron sleezeballs. OK, they may be more honest, but they certainly are at least as greedy and self-serving. Let's face it, they really don't care about your taste in music or mine. All they care about is what acts bring in the bacon.

(All that said...I really don't think the music situation since the mid-seventies has been quite as bad as painted. I have found something to like every year, but, then I've moved further and further away from rock and headed more toward blues and the hated genre here...light jazz.)

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Classic rock for me. In the words of Homer Simpson: "Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1972. It's a scientific fact!" :D

5. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i guess i'll have to be the one to go against the masses here. although i really do love classic rock, and i think that many modern band really suck, i've grown up with 80s and 90s rock, and i would have to say they're my favorite. while many maodren bands may lack some of the skill present in classic rock, they just seem to have something else. This will probably get me yelled at, but nirvana is a good example of this, while they don't play very complex music, their music just has other qualities and meanings to it that make it good.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Absolute rubbish!!

But then if you limit yourself to what types of music you listen to, by these arbitrary categories, then you get what you deserve! :rolleyes:

There are huge numbers of great musicians out there making vast amounts of great music all the time! Just because you are so closed-minded that you only listen to "rock", has no bearing on the "real world" and what is actually happening out there!

So I have bought CDs by hugely varied artists who are making new music all the time - so in the last year, Cachaito made his first solo album when in his 70s and won loads of awards ! There are contemporary composers making great music as we speak - I went to a concert last night where all the 5 works were basically new premieres in the last year!

I could go on with countless examples from the last few years - or I could say : well all the best tunes and chord progression were written by the Bebop composers in the 1940s/50s and no good new melodies have been written since! :rolleyes:

Listen to everything, regardless of categories instead of "moaning" about a lack of good music!

7. Boplicity, you said it all.

Bruce, I agree with what you say, but I think this thread is specifically about rock, not music in general, and rock is one genre which has become pretty thin on the ground these days when it comes to good original stuff.
    Jim

8. if you think modern music stinks, i have three words for you:

built to spill.

9. and there are lots of other great post-1980 bands: jane's addiction, the pixies, weezer, guided by voices, the smiths, radiohead, smashing pumpkins, pavement, longpigs... i could go on, and that's not even getting into the wonderful punk music, which i know might scare you off.

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I couldn't have said it better my self.

11. I like both, but probably classic rock more. For modern bands (after 1980), I like Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus (ESPECIALLY S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Enjoy Incubus), Primus, Dave Matthews, Living Colour, Kula Shaker, Radiohead, Tool, Sublime, 311, Weezer, Fugazi, etc. etc.
    People complain about modern rock music sucking but they aren't looking hard enough. Of course none of the guys mentioned above compete with Zeppelin, the Who, Hendrix, etc. etc.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Modern. Classic rock just doesn't have what it takes to get my blood moving.

Cept maybe for CCR...I don't care how many of them think it sucks, Fogerty and Co. rock.

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I will not make any opinion here, because bruce is right.

WITHIN the "rock" genre I voted classic because it is esentially blues based...

BUT: other styles often offer better things, so as bruce said: listen to everything.

P.S. why do the same people who bother to mention the few good modern bands (thus earning my respect) go and say they like Incubus? I may be missing something, but I see NO value WHATSOEVER in Incubus' music. It is just more crap that gets played on the radio and is called rock (like: tool, linkin park, train). I'm not saying Incubus is just like those that I mentioned, but they fit in and get radio play on the same stations.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    (Grandpa Simpson voice on)

Tarnation, I had to walk to concerts uphill both ways, the musicians plugged directly into your skull, there were no toilets, the rodies beat you and stole your money, and I likes it that way, by Gum! :D

(Grandpa Simpson voice off)

I think there was good and bad rock music then (typical classics era) and I think there is good and bad rock music today.

15. Maybe that 1980 frontier is slightly early. To me rock/pop music forever changed for the bad after 1984's Madonna phenomenon, and NOT because of Madonna herself. How the recording industry interpreted that phenomenon would become a problem. Oh, and of course Poison, Warrant and other hair bands, even if they were good musicians after all (?), gave rock a bad image...made rock look silly and goofy. That hurt.

Just before that, you did still have the likes of Elvis Costello and The Attractions and The Police, and a much more intrepid albeit musically challenged U2, for example. Since Madonna changed the rules of the game, well... Smithereens... errr maybe Radiohead... uh Blur... Oasis (??)... oh yeah: Lenny K.!! Others maybe.

It may be me but since Madonna the pop/rock scene, especially in the US, just kept deteriorating, except for the early nineties bands. Today the US pop scene frankly is a mess. Sellout hip-hop, fakey funk(?), boy bands, and silly blondes?? Lenny K. saves ya...

Bruce has a great point however. After all if you go beyond the pop and rock realms, you'd find that jazz is still jazz, flamenco is still flamenco, latin jazz is still latin jazz... and the genres are still blessed with great new talent every day to this very day. Rock may be in a coma, but many other genres still give us great acts.

...Oh well, if we can't bring back the past we still have the CDs don't we????...

16. Listen to Incubus' albums and not their radio singles. They do a lot of cool chord voicings and their singer has a really good voice. Check out Deep Inside, New Skin, Nowhere Fast, Aqueous Transmission, and Azwethinkweiz.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    you can't forget that there is more music out there than the media would like for you to think.

ps-i'm sick of classic rock being put on a pedastal. sure it's good...but it still is *only* rock.

i don't think much anything productive can come out of drawing lines in the sand.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good call, B.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Both classic and modern rock have good songs. But classic rock, in my most humble 19-year-old opinion, has much better ALBUMS. There are so many modern rock bands that seem to be focused on getting a hit single. Take Alien Ant Farm, for example. I think Movies is a fantastic song, but the rest of their songs are pretty blah. I think we've all had the experience of buying an album after hearing a GREAT song on the radio and then being disappointed with the rest of what seems to be filler. Now look at Zeppelin. (Except for maybe Coda ;)) Almost all their albums are filled with quality songs. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but sometimes I just like to sit and LISTEN to an album. Not while playing video games or watching TV, but just listening. I find it very hard to do with modern rock bands. But that's just me.

One could blame the CD player, with the instant-skip feature, saying it detracts the listener from listening to the ALBUM as a whole, as opposed to skipping to Track 5, then changing CDs in the rotary tray, and listening to Track 2.

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I must abstain. There are awesome songs before and after 1980.

I love Zepp, Purple, Cream, Who... but I a lot of post 1980 Van Halen, Rush, Metallica... Not to mention a lot of real modern stuff 90s - 00s is fun too.

There should be a "I like them equally" choice.