1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic Rock Trio - Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ampig, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Me and some former mates are forming a classic rock trio. This is my first electric three piece endeavor. I'm expecting that some type of effect will be useful and maybe necessary. I want to keep things simple. Thinking of maybe one of those multi effect POD thingies. Any suggestions?

2. Distortion/Overdrive, Fuzz, Phaser, Delay and Reverb.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Honestly, save your money and don't purchase any effect until you know you NEED a specific one. I thought I needed a ton of effects and probably went through 40-50 odd pedals over a year's time. Turned out I didn't need any of them, so I ended up selling most of them off at a loss. If you're really itching for something then get one of those small multi effect units from POD, Line6, or Digitech. That way you can see what effects you like and don't like.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    an EQ pedal, a delay/reverb and a distortion.

5. Yorick

Yorick

Nov 10, 2006
    Try a Line6 M5 pedal. It's got everything in it.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Best advice you can get on the issue. Second best is: RUN far away and don't look back. Ever.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

I can get by with nothing for my trio rock band. Recently I have been using a synth, octave, and distortion in certain songs.

8. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    VT Bass

9. I do mostly trio/duo work.... I'm not really into effects.

That being said...

Live I have a setting that works for a band mix... not to protect "my tone" but to make a fatter foundation.

I have tons of multi-effect and stand alone -- many are not really necessary.

------

For a trio...

After listening a ton to other acts etc... settled on the following.

Zoom B2.1u (used about $70 usd).. this has a useable DI etc.

Settings are basically a tamed down steel guitar (chorus, delay, compressor, reverb)... I can hold notes about 30 seconds without loosing the intial percussive attack.

I had some help from great studio engineer to get it going... I have 3 settings hi - mid - low volume/output.... have the pedal setup to be a volume.

Not sure this helps... please feel welcome to PM me if you'd like more info etc.

Tim

10. And yes.. there are some "better" ... in a band mix I'm extremely convinced that a paying audience will not tip you for the suggestions often called "mandatory" on TB.

Tim

11. Same

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I bought a Fishman Fisson Bass Powerchord FX in order to fill out the sound when the guitars takes a solo. I use it on about 7 songs so far and it works really well. It's one of the few effects I have that I really need.

13. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Essential Classic Rock Trio effect = 40 ft cable between your guitar and amp.

14. "Essential Classic Rock Trio effect = 40 ft cable between your guitar and amp."

I hear you guys. I'm not a big effects person myself, but the situaton is this - We're a classic rock trio that's covering tunes by bands that had 4, 5, and 6 pieces. There will be times (especially during guitar solos) when I'll need to fill some aural space

15. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I would second the "start with no effects and wait till you need something" suggestion. I play in trios frequently and the only thing I use is a volume rocker because my guitar player can't properly manage his volume between the solo sections and the rest of the songs and my BDDI which gives me a classic rock basic tone and also a grittier pre-amped sound (and is a DI).

If you have a guitar player who can manage his sound levels properly and a tube amp with a foot switch, you don't need either of these.

16. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    This^..
    Only time I have to fatten it is during solo's and such.

17. I play in a three piece original band which style I´d describe as rock with classic punk and blues elements in it. So far I can think only about using a tuner, compressor and overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal. Maybe I will add some modulation in future. Chorus, flanger, whatever. But if OP wants to start with some pedals, I think it´s safe to recommend compressor and some kind of dirt. Of course, tuner should be a cornerstone of every board (if not using rackmount or having it in a multifx unit).

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Avoid multi anything..... it means it doesn't do one thing good it does a bunch mediocre. Unless your dropping like 2k, but I'd start with an overdrive, then maybe a chorus or a flanger (learn to set a flanger tempo) but really, I play in a 3 piece trio without effects all the time. Granted I do sometimes bring them, OD, Wah, Synth, Chorus, Flanger, Limiter, Compressor, depends how lazy I am and what sets are coming up, but at the end of the day I am happy dry.

Oh, and buy used, pedals lose a ton in resale value.

19. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    In that case:

- Octave pedal
    - Chorus
    - Distortion (esp. if it lets you blend clean and distorted tones; you could combine it with the octave for good effect as well)
    - Delay? (reall depends on what specific songs you do)

Hope that helps.

20. +1. I don't use any in our trio. But I do find myself wanting either a chorus or flanger also.