1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic Stingray vs Vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by creeperdet, Nov 17, 2010.

1. creeperdet

creeperdet

Apr 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Has anyone had the opportunity to do an A/B comparison of the new "Classic" Stingray and a vintage Stingray? I'd like to know how the two compare.

Thanks!

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    There have been several threads about the Classics; and in some of those threads, people have opined about how they compare. I'm too lazy to pull up the threads for you, but a search of "MusicMan Classics" should pull up some threads for you.

Bottom line is (if I recall correctly), most of the guys who have played both tend to prefer the vintage ones. That being said, they also have very positive opinions of the Classic series.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Old things are always better even though the Classics have the same preamps.

4. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    If you are into fancy woods go with Classic SR's

If you are into 5'vers go with Classic SR's

If those two doesn't fit the bill try both basses! I greatly prefer the Pre-EB tone wise..

5. creeperdet

creeperdet

Apr 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks everyone!

I think Syciprider mostly answered my main question, the preamp! I have a 30th Anniversary Stingray and I'm outright disappointed by the week G string. And since it's a limited edition I'd rather bastardize it with a new pre.

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
  7. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Santa Monica
    G string and, in fact, all other strings sound perfect on my Classic.