Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classic Styling or Exotic Laminate Bonanza

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Apr 29, 2003.

1. When you looking at a bass do you go with what you think looks good or what others might think?

I know when I bring my F Bass out to auditions/jams I get weird looks. I know this may be partly becuase I'm in my early 20's and play with people around that age. All I get when I pull it out is a "what the hell is that?". Now it does not bother me, (it's an amazing bass) but I did get a bass with a more traditional look to bring out to auditions. I figure every little thing helps.

Do you get the weird looks when you pull out your spalt top or single cut 6 string from 'less informed' musicians?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I go with my own sense of asthetics, which usually runs pretty classical. I'm not a fan of burls, flames, quilts, buckeyes, spalts, ect. I prefer a hunk of padauk, mexican cocobolo (say it ain't so, eh, Rickbass?), or maybe mahogany/walnut. Either that or just a solid black finish, maybe a nice dark 3 tone sunburst, or some such. Nothing superflashy or odd, really.

Which runs pretty classic as far as looks, go, I suppose. If I was into a doublenecked 7 string bass with a bazillion top woods, I'd still throw it out to any and everyone. If I got a bass, it'd be because it's a solid workhorse that I'd bring to any and every occasion.

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I'd actually feel pretty good if I got bewildered stares from other people for my bass. I like most of those fancy tops.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've pretty much gotten comments like "Wow!" ....

What kind of top does your F bass have? I dont recall too many wild looking F basses...aside from Adrian's ;)

5. It's a 4 string fretted with figured maple fret board, a transparent orange finish(I love it, but I'll admit even George gave me a look when I ordered it) and black hardware.

I love the more exotic basses, but I have found that people are very sceptical of something new. Plus with alot of the auditons I go for and have been on, image is very important. Pulling out an axe that looks like it should be in a fusion band scares alot of people.

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I would be proud to recieve any "what the hell is that?" looks for something I had....if I had anything deserving of those looks. :bawl:

7. Sorry, no pics at the moment.

I may be able to get some 'Family Photos' up by the weekend.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i much prefer having a big slab of an unpainted, unfinished wood in its natural state instead of laminates.

for the wood, i like maple, rosewood, ash, afzelia, ovangkol, bubinga - anything nice and hefty and reasonably pretty without drawing too much attention to itself.

9. I hate the look of bare wood, like Warwicks or Foderas etc. But I love the look of a finish applied to a nice top wood, like a transparent stain over a quilt maple top, like on my Spector. The combination of a nice wood grain and an interesting colour is what appeals to me.

10. I have had many people come up asking about my Dingwall 6 string when I bring it out to gigs. Typically, the response is positive. People are usually curious about it. I take the time to explain the stuff on the bass.

Occassionally, people talk negatively about it, but generally, people who come up and ask questions are genuinely interested. Questions like:

"Why are the frets all different?"

"Why 6 strings?"

"What is that made of?"

"You paid HOW MUCH???"

Geoff

11. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I go for what I want (which leans towards exotic tops a lot of the time). If other people can't handle it, that's their problem. If I didn't get the gig because they didn't like the looks of my bass, they're probably not the kind of people I'd want to be gigging with in the first place.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have fairly wide taste as far as looks go, and have both classic and boutiquey basses in my collection. Probably the most boutiquey looking one I have is the MTD 535 with myrtle burl top. The top is a strange combination of flame and birdseyes, and has a couple of black spots. Most people say they like it... a non-musician friend used a photo of it as his windoze wallpaper on his work PC. The strange looks I've gotten are usually from guitarists, who, if they like figured wood at all, tend to like straight flame maple and nothing else.

"Mutant Myrtle":
    [​IMG]

13. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    funny - lately, i've been running into a lot of snobby people that will turn up their noses to anything that isn't a single cut fodera or a tiger maple ken smith (or a vintage fender)

it takes all kinds...

14. I like telling people about Matt Schmill's work, and the recent proliferation of Warwicks in metal bands means that the only styles where exotic-wood basses "aren't welcome" just happen to be styles I don't play. Plus, I've always gotten great comments from soundmen on my FBBs.

15. I just got a Renaissance, and I've been getting a lot of curious looks from people already. Some people aren't even sure what kind of instrument it is. I don't mind, it's better than just blending into the background.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

They auditioning you or the bass?

Take the one you feel most comfortable with, anyone who judges a bass player's talent based on the look of his instrument is probably not worth making music with.

17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've played an Ibanez Jazz copy with no looks. I just got my Roscoe 6 with a nice top and no stain, and I'm wondering what kind of looks and or comments I'll get during the first gig I have coming up mid May. I guess I'll gladly explain why I got what I got.

To answer your question, I bought it to please me. I've always liked the look of exotic woods on furniture, so why not my bass?