1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic Tribute Amp: Bassman Faux Ten

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, May 2, 2010.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    cliffs:

New band project, the "Lava Daddys". We call it honkabilly...rockabilly and hardcore, vintage honkytonk re: Webb Pierce/Ray Price/Hank Sr.

Show band w/matching outfits, guitars, and now amps.

First attempt at an amp is a Rube Goldberg affair with my Tech21 RBI and QSC PLX 1804 (lightweight, compact, decent power) dropped into a custom Bassman lookalike with an Eminence single 15. Weighs in at about 55lb.

Here's how it turned out
    DSCN1245-1.

DSCN1248-1.

DSCN1250-1.

DSCN1246-1.

Played it for the first time last night in a small club with a 5 piece classic rock band.

The guy that built it showed up with it about an hour before showtime.

He'd connected it wrong, but I didn't realize it until the first set started. [smilie=fun_84.gif]

He bypassed the preamp and for the first set I was running my '69 Jbass directly into the power amp and speaker. Only tone control I had was at the guitar. Tell me that ain't oldschool primitive.

It actually sounded pretty good. (fixed)

Ran the XLR out to the P.A. and played it that way all night.

He's building another tweed speaker cab, so I'll eventually have a "Bassman Faux Ten" stack. Not sure yet what speakers or cab design we're gonna use.

I'll post more as this it unfolds (no pun intended).

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    wow that thing looks amazing!

3. that's really cool!

4. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    hahaha....thanks, I was hoping someone would appreciate it besides me!:oops:

I just used the power amp I had in my rack, but I can see how a lower profile amp like a Crown would fit better and down into the top. But, then again, the Crown is heavier.

I think the ultimate solution would be hanging a little D class amp on the back of the cabs, like a TC Electronics RH450, and making it removable.

It would be much lighter, compact, and totally out of sight from the front.

5. ^^ SWR makes a micro poweramp

really cool solution!! looks fantastic ...

6. I've been thinking about building a similar rig, but didn't want to do the R & D. Thanks for posting this.

How does it sound with the preamp?

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    That looks fantastic. I had the same power amp for a few years and they are great. With a matching extension cab you have have a unique and killer setup!

8. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I don't really know yet since I haven't gigged with it. Sounds fine at garage-practice volumes.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Remember, it's a honkabilly band, so state-of-the-art tone isn't the goal here, just decent stage-monitor bass sound and appearance.

We're big on appearance over substance.;)

9. You dragged and dropped the smilies didn't you? I have just learned that you merely have to click on them to add them to your post.

Thus :bag:

Paul

10. Back to the topic, I doubt whether any open back cabinet is going to perform very well for bass. The cone has no loading whatsoever. I think it will blow fairly quickly.

Paul

11. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    At any volume or the volume I gigged at last night?:smug:

Did you miss the part that it's just a stage monitor and the line out to the mains is for the house mix?

So, Paul, taking the purpose into consideration how do you recommend we build the other tweed cab?

Speakers?
    Port design?
    Sealed w/no port?

I'd appreciate your input.

12. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Nice job!

One of the new TV Bassman's would look good also.

13. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Sucker better for a thousand bucks.:eyebrow:

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Looks awesome. As to the open back cab, I agree. It's gonna be your limiting factor. Closed-back and ported would provide more oomph, and lowend, as well as tighten it up and go louder.

15. Sealed or ported, your choice. BTW that iS an awesome job, the tweed looks great. The problem with clones of vintage bass amps is that he originals were lousy bass amps in the first place. Bass cabinet design has come a long way since those days.

Paul

16. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Yes, it has.

Vintage music, vintage sound, vintage look
    DSC_0060-1-1.

So, what speakers and design would you recommend for the second, tweed cab

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'd say find a 15" cab that's available on the market from various manufactures that would fit well width wise under your Bassman(which is very cool, BTW) and either bevel the edges and wrap it in tweed, or just copy the dimensions and build from scratch.

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Coolest thing I have seen in a while!

19. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    The dude can build a perfect-match, tweed cab for not much money (and seal and port it).

I'm just not sure yet what speakers to use in it.

I'm thinking just a couple of Eminence Neo 10's.

20. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Paul has a good point. However, if you are going to build another cabinet anyway, why don't you drop a pair of 10's in this cab and put the 12 (or is that a 15?) in a ported cab for the low end. You'd have to use some sort of crossover, but I'm sure there are plenty of TB'rs that can help you with that. Just a thought. :meh:

On the other hand, if this configuration gives you the volume you need without farting out, just play it like it is.

By the way, great job so far. I like it. :D:D