Classic Vibe 60's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Aug 11, 2017.

1. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Anyone here use one for gigs or recording? I was just wondering how they compare with similar offerings like a Mexican Jazz .

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    When I was buying my CV Precision (FR/RW) I tried out the White Jazz from this series while I was in the store. If I'd had the funds at the time I would have bought it as well (I needed a Precision for the band I was in).

Great player, great sound. Haven't used one for recording/gigs (as I did with my Precision), but I wouldn't hesitate if I had one.

Very nice piece of kit. I think the 60s series from Squier was outstanding. Not just good for the money, but good basses.

Good luck.

Old Blastard and lowdownthump like this.
  3. I picked up the Classic Vibe on a whim a few years back, just because there was a big sale and I couldn't resist :).

I've never taken it out on a gig though, simply can't justify it as I have a few other jazz basses that are much better players.

That said, it's a solid instrument. Took it out to a session that was supposed to be the day 1 "scratch recording", and ended up keeping the track with the Squier on it for the final mix. Love it when people compliment my tone on that one, nobody knows the CV was on the record!

They are nice instruments, definitely don't regret picking one up. If anything they're great for home use/rehearsals (for my needs), but it's definitely a bass that can be gigged and sit well in a mix!

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I bought the Inca Silver version on a lark. Wanted to check them out and ended up being very impressed. I've got light gauge flats on it. Marriage made in heaven AFAIC. I'd have no problem gigging or taking mine into the studio. It's a nice Jazz.

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. FunkBear

FunkBear

Jan 2, 2009
    I used to have a 60's CV jazz bass that I eventually traded in for a Fender modern player Jazz. When I picked up the squier CV I actually went in to buy a MIM jazz bass but the CV was better (to me) in almost every way and was cheaper. My only gripe was the glossed neck The bridge pickup has 60's spacing, which I prefer. Traded it in for the modern player (also a solid player) because GAS got the best of me.

ETA: I gigged a few times with the Squier CV. Would recommend.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    And there is no difference other than color between the Squier CV and the James Johnson? They have the same pickups , pots, etc?

7. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    According to the folks at Fender, the pickups on the James Johnston Sig Jazz are slightly higher output than those in the regular CV '60s and wound to match those found in Johnston's personal Jazz Bass the Squier version was modeled after. Aside from the pickups and the finish color, it's a CV '60s Jazz in every other respect.

I own a Johnston Jazz bass and have used it both live (orchestra pit) and in the studio. To me it sounds and plays as well as many other Fender branded Jazz basses I've played over the years. It's definitely legit and a great bass by any standard.

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I almost picked up an Inca Silver CV Jazz a few weeks ago. Was marked down to $349 and was a nice bass, but even at that price I was still on the fence. Felt nice, but apparently not impressive enough to take it home. Has a bit of a plastic feel to it with the lack of grain pattern in the neck and it was super glossy. Not knocking it at all, because for the money it's a great instrument, everything seemed quality for the price of admission. I ended up instead coming across a Road Worn J I found for $625 and it's a night and day difference and the Road Worn, even though I'm not a fan of the relicing it just fit the bill better for me. For whatever reason the Road Worn I have has something awesome going on with both pickups on full, tone knob dialed back a bit that the CV seemed to be lacking.

noeinstein likes this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I suspected the pickup were hotter . My ears picked that up in videos I've viewed .

10. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I had a Squier CV Jazz for 9 years. It was my second bass I got and it was a HUGE upgrade from my Affinity P. Back then I did nothing but play every day after school or work but when I got my Aerodyne at a pawn shop earlier this year I really only had room for two basses so I sold it, which now I wish I hadn't done but isn't that the story with all of us?

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Of all the CV jazz basses i have tried i felt the James Johnston one was the best. I also felt all of them were seriously good gigging basses.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    There is something about that RWJ, maybe they're all like that, but it has some magic. I'm very happy it found its way to someone who digs it.

sbpark likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021