1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic Vibe 60's Precision pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by electricity17, Aug 15, 2012.

1. electricity17

electricity17

May 22, 2012
    I did a search and couldn't find anything, hopefully I didn't miss something obvious.

I'm curious if anyone has done a comparison on the stock pickups in a Squier CV 60's Precision vs. the Fender '62 Original pickups. Anybody made the swap? Was is worth it to you?

I'm new to bass and so far I don't have any definite problems with my bass (CV 60's Precision w/ LaBella flats), but I'm curious if some of the players with better developed ears are hearing something extra from the Fenders. When I started playing guitar I put some money into better pickups in a Les Paul knock off (before I could have clearly defined what I was looking for), and I ended up being very happy that I did. The longer I played that guitar, the more I appreciated putting better humbuckers in it.

I've got some recording I'll be doing soon with a friend, he's got some great songs and I feel like now is the time to upgrade if it's worth doing. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    I don't always leave my pickups stock,

but when I do, they're CV P-bass pickups.

dos-equis-guy.

But seriously...

I no longer have a CV 60's P-bass, but when I did, I could find no reason at all to change that pickup. That bass sounded superb with flats.

Incidentally, as much as I liked that bass, I sold it because 1) I had too many similar basses, and 2) I never totally fell in love with the neck or bridge.

3. qwench

qwench Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Saskatchewan CANADA
    Hey there...

Was it it worth it to me? I would say so...very marginally...it seemed to smooth out the overall tone and the consistentency of output from string to string seemed better and more controlled to me...that being said, it was a MINOR tweak in tone but one that was important to me...that being said, the stock pickups are really something at that kinda price point...
    I have a few main basses currently - Hofner Club Bass (short scale) and a Fender RW jazz bass but the Squier Classic Vibe Precision is my favourite bass to play right now...I am using it this Saturday and Sunday and then taking it apart for a refinish paint job...i am so NOT looking forward to being without it that I am thinking about buying another one to have in the interim until the refinish is complete!!! These are awesome value instruments...amazing for the $$ for certain...but maybe just a lil' amazing regardless of $$$

4. electricity17

electricity17

May 22, 2012
    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate the help. I found this on a google search but somehow missed it on the search engine here, the thread has clips comparing the Fender '62 pickups vs. stock Squier CV pickups:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/squier-cv-pbass-stock-fender-original-comparion-695927/

I'm at work now and the computer speakers aren't doing the clips much justice, gotta check it out later when I get home. I'd love to hear anybody's thoughts after checking out the clips!