1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classical Bass (Bach and more)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Grueber, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Another Bach on bass thread...I know :p

My YouTube channel, Bassically Bach, is where I have been recording Bach, other composers, and other random stuff (even some Johnny Cash!) over the past few years.

BASSically BACH

As a bassist with a day job and other stuff going on in life, I increasingly found myself drawn to playing music that I can just practice and record on my own and not have to coordinate with a band, etc. I heavily utilize 6-string basses tuned EADGCF for the treble parts, and usually pull out a standard 5-string for the bass parts.

Just curious if there are others out there that do the same stuff, or just enjoy listening to this type of music performed on bass. Let me know what you think or if anyone has something similar.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    crammit442 likes this.
  2. New video posted! Telemann TWV 40:201, II. Allegro - Concerto for Four Violins (arranges for bass guitars)

Featuring the Ibanez BTB846V bass exclusively. It is a 33 scale 6-string bass with an adjustable ramp. Really easy to play.

3. RCMJ Bass

RCMJ Bass Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    UK
    Great! really enjoyed that, I hope you might enjoy my Telemann Duet, I think originally for two cellos:

crammit442 and Grueber like this.
  4. Yes, that was very nice! Thanks for sharing

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

RCMJ Bass and Grueber like this.
  6. In honor of Bach’s Birthday today!

BWV 1068 - Orchestral Suite no. 3 in D Major, II. Air

RCMJ Bass likes this.
  7. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    This old SWR promotional video popped up in my Youtube suggestions. Seemingly off-topic, but, at 29:48, you can hear Keith Jones and Michael Wilcox play (after a very brief introduction) a two-bass arrangement of the Debussy Arabesque No. 1.

This was the highlight of the video (otherwise a mixed, if interesting, bag) for me. They also mention that it was featured in the March/April 1991 issue of Bass Player magazine. Would be cool to to get one's hands on the transcription.

At first I thought they were playing 6-strings, but it looks as if each is playing a 5-string strung E to C (higher?).

While not strictly Classical (then again, neither is Debussy), there is an interesting solo bass arrangement of Hey Jude, played on fretless, by Charles Frichtel, at 20:47 of the same video.

The players mentioned are (I think) all new to me. When this video was made, I was a year into playing electric bass!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Grueber likes this.
  8. That was pretty cool. I like their phrasing and interaction with each other. Pretty cool seeing a young Jimmy Haslip later in the video too!

With my videos being filmed by myself, I have to listen to a metronome in my headphones so it probably comes out a little sterile when combined all together.

9. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    A colleague has suggested an app called Acapella for doing those split-screen videos. She's made some cool ones with it but, on my Android phone, the sync between tracks was way off. Supposedly, the iPhone version is more solid (and I guess some people have had good luck with the Android version, too).

10. Cool, I downloaded it and it looks promising. It looks like they have a 10-day trial, but you have to sign up first, so I may try that eventually.

Most of my videos were just done in iMovie but their split-screen is lacking. My last 2 videos were done with Final Cut Pro after I purchased it. I think it works ok so far.