Classical Chinese

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by danqi, Nov 19, 2004.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    This is one of those threads that ends up having ten pages or more, I am sure.

Who knows where on the net I can find help with translating a phrase of classical chinese?

In case any of you know classical chinese, here is the phrase:

EDIT: The characters don't seem to show up right, any idea why that could be?
  2. There are several langauges that can be called Chinese, are you asking about Mandarin (what would have been heard in the Emperor's court) or Cantonese or one of the others?

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to get translated (a book, magazine, newspaper...)?
  3. send me a PM. my mother has teaching Chinese Brushwork (calligraphy, landscapes, bamboo, etc..) for about 15 years, been doing it professionally for over 30 years. If she has trouble she can always send it to one of her instructors in china to get an accurate translation.

She does a lot of work for tattoo shops and is pretty big in the chinese art world. lots of tattoo shops send their customers to her first so they don't get something that is supposed to mean"love" and actually means "dog" if you get my drift.

side note: NEVER get a "KANJI" or some other type of oriental tattoo without seeking assistance of a professional. 95% of all translations into chinese are more than one character. Rarely (if at all) can you user one character to describe a feeling, emotion, action etc...
  4. danqi

May 21, 2001
    You can read it here:

Actually I am not sure what dialects of classical Chinese there have been, but since we are talking about a written text it shouldn't matter.
    It's a homework and has been taken from some classical text, I am not sure which one.
  5. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Thanks for the help, I hope that doesn't trouble her too much.
  6. no problem but your link doesn't show the characters either..
  7. danqi

May 21, 2001
    It doesn't? For me it does.

Well, mei banfa, here is a picture of it:

Attached Files:

8. i just printed it out. i'll take it to her this weekend..
  9. Eh, in Chinese there is only one writing system -- people speaking Cantonese and people speaking Mandarin write the same way (as well as any other of the many dialects).

Note: although in Taiwan sometimes there are different words used for some things.
  10. Well, I dunno. The tattoos I see are usually pretty good. People usually just want a single character rather than an entire phrase, which is why people always get tattoos of 爱 or something. So I sort of half agree with you there.

And by the way, Orthanc, Skylee answered your translation question on the Chinese forums.
  11. danqi

May 21, 2001
    That should settle it. I am sorry to have bothered you. I wouldn't have expected this to get replies anywhere, but you proved me wrong. I am thankful for that.

Reverend G-Money, I would still like to know about bamboo painting, as I pointed out in my PM.
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  13. Heh, somehow that's both offending and funny at the same time. :)
  14. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    use a translator to get the general idea of it.
    theres one at then click the link to the translator.
  15. mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    mainly offensive.
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I got nothing... but i can you help you with your goal of making this threat 10pages or more... this is 1 for you!

17. danqi

May 21, 2001
    :) I thought this wouldn't get ANY replies....