1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classical DB Practice on an EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by leveethewall, Jul 28, 2017.

1. leveethewall

leveethewall

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey all,
    Does anybody have experience with practicing classical music seriously on an electric upright bass? I've been considering buying one (I'm looking as a few 3/4 scale NS models) for a little over a year now and see it as an opportunity to practice my classical repertoire while on contract for a cruise ship for a few months at a time.
    Any advise is welcome, I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to sharpen my classical skills while working and saving up for a career-long upright.

2. You need an EUB with a vibrating top and a good body support that resembles a DB upper bout or you won't get happy with it. Such instruments can be very expensive and hard to find.
    One of the cheapest and probably acceptable one might be an Italian MK Classical.

But if you have space for a real double bass, better get a cheap (but not too cheap) ply or hybrid bass to work on. You might save some money that way.

3. I bought an Eminence bass for this purpose, as well as playing folk and jazz. I've been very happy with it.

4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Anything with the correct scale and finger board arc will be great for this. I took an EUB on a cruise with my grandparents several years ago and got a lot of focused practice in.

5. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    Just out of curiosity which EUB did you use?

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Me? I used one I will not name because the pick ups fail, however, it is made of a single piece of wood, so it vibrates properly which is nice as @DoubleMIDI points out. It would be better to get one that works beyond a practice stick, which is what mine is now.