1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classical Double-Bass in Video ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by gael, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Hi guys,

I wonder if there is any interesting DVD or VHS featuring classical DB ?

Any comments about the "KARRdiology" (DVD) or the Duncan McTier video (VHS) ?

Where can I find older videos with Petracchi ?

Anything else ?

2. I've got the VHS video, "BASSically Karr". Gary Karr plays about six or seven short classical pieces and provides a lot of insight, in an interview format, about his technique, his approach to performing, etc. Each time I watch this video I catch something new that didn't register the previous time I watched it.

I've also got an intermediate bass technique video by Jeff Bradetich entitled "Double Bass Technique." But this isn't a classical music video so much as exercises to make you a better classical player.

I bought both of these online, I think from Lemur Music. I understand from others' posts here on TB Forum that the Rabbath videos are great, but I haven't seen them.

3. Thanks Paul, I visited Bob's site and Lemur before writing this thread.
    I just wonder that there is so little material available.

About Duncan's video:
    1. I was not so enthusiast about the sound of his CD
    2. they say that he goes maybe too far in details in his explanations,
    comments anyone ? Where do you find his video, too ?

4. snakebite

snakebite

Aug 6, 2006
    i have DM's video, i got it from him (mail-order) by contacting RAM London. i think his detail may be OTT sometimes but at the same time its so thorough that you cant really spend 2 minutes without learning something new - its quite insightful!
    did you try lemur for petracchi?

5. jasonheath

jasonheath Bass Blogger / Contrabass Conversations host

Aug 11, 2006
    Chicago IL
    If you are interested in jazz bass, check out Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" DVD. It has a fair amount of small combo work with Rufus and is a really excellent and informative DVD.