Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classical Double-Bass in Video ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by gael, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Hi guys,

I wonder if there is any interesting DVD or VHS featuring classical DB ?

Any comments about the "KARRdiology" (DVD) or the Duncan McTier video (VHS) ?

Where can I find older videos with Petracchi ?

Anything else ?

2. I've got the VHS video, "BASSically Karr". Gary Karr plays about six or seven short classical pieces and provides a lot of insight, in an interview format, about his technique, his approach to performing, etc. Each time I watch this video I catch something new that didn't register the previous time I watched it.

I've also got an intermediate bass technique video by Jeff Bradetich entitled "Double Bass Technique." But this isn't a classical music video so much as exercises to make you a better classical player.

I bought both of these online, I think from Lemur Music. I understand from others' posts here on TB Forum that the Rabbath videos are great, but I haven't seen them.

3. Thanks Paul, I visited Bob's site and Lemur before writing this thread.
    I just wonder that there is so little material available.

About Duncan's video:
    1. I was not so enthusiast about the sound of his CD
    2. they say that he goes maybe too far in details in his explanations,
    comments anyone ? Where do you find his video, too ?

4. snakebite

snakebite

Aug 6, 2006
    i have DM's video, i got it from him (mail-order) by contacting RAM London. i think his detail may be OTT sometimes but at the same time its so thorough that you cant really spend 2 minutes without learning something new - its quite insightful!
    did you try lemur for petracchi?

5. jasonheath

jasonheath Bass Blogger / Contrabass Conversations host

Aug 11, 2006
    Chicago IL
    If you are interested in jazz bass, check out Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" DVD. It has a fair amount of small combo work with Rufus and is a really excellent and informative DVD.