1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classical Guitar RH?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Derek Balonek, May 19, 2011.

1. Just wondering if anyone else tries to use this technique and how it's working out for them. I mainly use free strokes with four fingers, since it makes skipping from string to string a lot easier than floating thumb for me. It also helps with melodic playing.

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I had an interest in this technique. There is a % of Bass players who either came from standard classical guitar or gravitated to it at some point and learned RT hand techniques.
    Round wound strings of a thinner gauge appear a bit more suited for this as they flex easier as do some bass designs with a large open area after the neck ( i.e. MM StingRay). Of the players I have seen who use this technique (& similar such as Slapping w/ a pop of most all fingers, etc) have often been in progressive Jazz or studio-level funk.
    IMO, it may be extremely important for people to learn who either work with complex note changes or those who may have had trouble in the past w/ RT hand fluidity (habit of plucking w/ an index finger alone).
    I've tried it and it's not easy at all. I still work with it as an exercise along with linear pattern re-positions so that I can move easily on the neck and catch a difficult positioned note within a faster tempo.
    I have not seen to much written on it. I had a teacher who introduced the idea to me. I was told that a separate time keeping device become almost imperative when practicing because the ideal is to space the plucking of each finger to defeat a "strumming" sound.

3. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Since I'm interested in solo bass, yeah that kind of position came to me naturaly. Very easy to use.

you should look Zander Zon on youtube, he play that way on a picolo 4 strings Zon. You won't belive what he can do.

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
  5. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    It doesn't work for me.

I played guitar for years before I played bass. I am a fairly decent fingerstyle guitar player, and I can play a bit of classical and flamenco guitar. The finger strength and independence I gained from playing guitar was very helpful when I took up the bass...but the string spacing issue did not allow me to directly use my guitar technique. At first I sort of modified the guitar technique to work, but over the years, I've just sort of progressed to a typical bass player's style.

6. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I use all manner of techniques in my bass playing (whatever will give me the tone or ease-of-playability I need for a given song) but a classical guitar right hand technique was the technique I started with when I first picked up the bass.

I still use the technique to this day. It isn't necessarily the best fit for all styles of music but it is highly useful. I find myself switching from other techniques to classical RH technique quite often.

7. It's good to know other people find this technique useful. I figured it would make sense, since bass string spacing is wide like a classical guitar's, even if roles are usually different. And that guy Mayers mentioned is just plain amazing. Looks like I need to spend some more time in the woodshed...

8. Would anyone mind filling in a survey of mine on this topic? (if you already play Classical / Fingerstyle guitar

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y5MWBPP

Would be a great help, thankyou!

And on topic, i've been learning classical guitar for a year now, wonderful instrument. On bass i use CG RH technique when messing around with chords while practicing, but not for much outside of practice currently.

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I completed your survey but the question 5 I had already did all of those thing before trying classical guitar technic.

10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    That's the technique I use the most. I started using this technique about 1½-2 years ago after almost exclusively having played classical guitar for a while. Before that I only used pick.

11. Thankyou! That's a great help.