1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classical Guitar-style, footstool?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by remcult, Jan 30, 2017.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Pretty much what the title says, i'm thinking about trying to practice more "classical guitar-style", any suggestions on a foot-stool from folks who do this regularly?

(if I'm not explaining this well, something similar to but not necessarily this:
    On-Stage Stands 5-Position Foot Rest)

zontar likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I tried one, liked it for playing sitting down, especially big acoustics, but I broke it within a few days - get a sturdy one.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    For what it's worth, the one you linked to is the same kind I got - those metal tabs can't take much weight at all, they folded and tore rather easily. Works fine if you never ever put any weight on it. Like, step off it before even trying to stand up using the other leg.

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I have it as well, I use it from time to time depending on what I want to do.

5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've dabbled in Classical Guitar for the last 15 years or so---and I can offer this advice: Tread carefully when considering the use of a footstool. They have been known to cause lower back problems in some people. The act of sitting on a stool with one leg raised higher than the other is not ergonomically sound.

I'm not saying to avoid it like the plague, just proceed with caution and don't ignore any "twinges" or soreness in your lower back.

Jeff Bonny and AlekB like this.
  6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Beer can works fine. If it breaks, fun to replace.

ONYX likes this.
  7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I have a similar folding foot rest, only made by Pinnacle; have owned it for years, very sturdy.
    At home, I use a chunk of a 6x8 structural beam. I use it under my right foot to raise the angle of my leg. Bass sits on right thigh.

zontar likes this.
  8. LOL, yeah, you can't stand on it. That's not what it's for. I own one and have used it pretty much every single day for the last 7 years. It's never given me any trouble.

zontar likes this.
  9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Now I'm tempted to stand on mine to see how strong it is, but I don't want to have to by another one if it disappoints!
    My wood block, on the other hand, can double as a wheel chock.:thumbsup:

10. AlekB

AlekB

Dec 23, 2015
    I tried a footstool, but ended up with the lower back pain, as ONYX mentioned above. Then I found "Guitar Cushion" on Amazon, for around $20. The idea is that instead of lifting your leg, you put guitar cushion under your bass, while both feet are on the floor. I have been using this method for more than a year and it is extremely confortable.

Also, I switched to short scale (Jaguar SS) since the first and second frats on long scale bass in this position were too far for me.

Keep the back straight and shoulders relaxed.

I enjoy playing the bass way more now.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    My acoustic duo partner uses one of those ... I guess he likes it. To avoid the back pain some players use something like this ... Amazon.com: ErgoPlay Tappert Classical Guitar Support: Musical Instruments ... but don't think that'll work if you're playing a bass.

12. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I have one as well--I started guitar on classical (Did help with bass as well later on)
    I also took some classical guitar lessons as an adult.
    I'm quite out of practice on it--but I have sued that same type of foot stool without any issues.

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Guitar Supports are a much more mechanically sound solution than a footstool.

AlekB likes this.
  14. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Why?
    Just curious, but solid elevation of the leg, along with direct contact between bass and thigh... what can be more sound than that?

Spin Doctor likes this.
  15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Like a lot of other players I've found that in the long term cocking your hips and shoulders with a footstool is unbalanced and can cause pain in the legs, hips, back, neck and shoulders. Not something you might notice right away but it can take its toll long term. I wouldn't blow the footstool idea off completely because they've worked well for a lot of people but it's something to be aware of.

I've had several of the supports on that page I linked and used the ErgoPlay for several years. I ended up preferring the Gitano overall because it folds it can stay on the instrument during transit and is much less obtrusive visually. The only real problem with supports in general is being designed for deeper acoustic instruments on solid bodies you pretty much have to hard mount them somehow which makes the folding thing kinda essential.

I really like the way John Stowell holds his guitar with a thin pillow. I tried doing that but the bass is longer and reaching for the low notes I could never keep it from moving around without a support. And the larger body of that headless guitar really helps....I think he actually does use a footstool sometimes with smaller body instruments.

16. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Yesterday when I said that using a guitar support designed for an acoustic guitar on a solid body you pretty much had to hard mount it that was based on my years of experimenting with a bunch of different supports. This thread has rekindled my curiosity and I see that since then NeckUp has come out with the Mini Narrow Body designed specifically for solid bodies. Hooking onto the strap button is a great idea that would make accurately re-installing easy and takes some force off the suction cup. Even if when the suction cup lets go being attached to the button like this would keep the instrument from dropping. It actually looks really good....might have to try one.
    NeckUp Guitar Support Mini Narrow.

17. Personally, I would not want to rely on too many gadgets to play my instrument. The footstool is as far as I want to take that idea, since I tend to practice for hours on end. I don't see how the mechanical support could be helpful, unless you play all your gigs siting down.

With a footstool, I can lean forward slightly to put the weight of the instrument on the thigh to rest, then sometimes lean back to put the bass into the same position as if I was standing. I guess if you have some physical limitation, and a dedicated support helps, then sure, I can see using one.

18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    What's wrong with using a strap when sitting?I do!
    Snapshot_20161015.JPG