1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classical Masterpieces for Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by weeding, Mar 31, 2006.

1. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    I'm studying the International Backaloriate Diploma 1st year at the moment, and am (obviously) taking music. Now we cover a lot of classical music history and playing, and are required to do both performance and composition in multiple contrasting styles. So, I've just managed to convince my teacher to purchase Classical Masterpieces for Bass (http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=469)! :hyper:

I'm wondering if anyone else here owns a copy, and if so what pieces could they recommend me? I'm looking forward to Bouree in Dm, but what else should I check out?

2. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I dunno if it's in the book, but I always thought Bach's "Little Fugue" in Gminor would sound cool on bass. I know it's normally played on the organ, but if you had a few instruments and then the bass to play the low notes from the organ it might be pretty cool.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I dont know about the book - but that's the worst spelling of

"The International Baccalaureate"

that I've ever seen!! :eek:

Can you study for something you can't even spell!!?? ;)

And the right quote is :

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity."
    Charles Mingus

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Hmmm... do you think there's a possibility that Guthrie and Mingus simply stated the same idea at different times?

"Some people like to play hard things and make them look easy. I like to play easy things and make them look hard."--Jeff Beck, interview in Guitar Player, ca. 1974.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But we're talking about Bass!! Mingus rules!! ;)

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I see your point... maybe you're right...

"To be or not to be. That is the question."--Milt Hinton.
    "The only thing we have to fear... is fear itself."--Oscar Pettiford.
    "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall!"--Les Claypool.
    "I have a dream..."--Sid Vicious.
    "Et tu, Brute?"--Pops Foster.