1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classical method used or referred to by Jaco Pastorius?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Kleinzeitnz, Jun 15, 2018.

1. I know about the "formally self-taught" thing and have tried googling this work without success.

Could someone please remind me of the title and author of the classical method Jaco referred to a couple of times? I don't remember where (although it was possibly on the 'Modern Electric Bass Video', which I no longer have a playable copy of - it isn't mentioned in the text and transcriptions). As far as I can tell, it also wasn't mentioned in the Milkowski biography. Jaco used it as a reference work for arpeggio exercises and the like and it was possibly written for cellists. The author had a possibly eastern European name, as far as I can recall. Thanks.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Kleinzeitnz likes this.
  4. Thanks, JTE and Lee. That's the one - it isn't indexed in the earlier edition of Milkowski I have, that's why I couldn't find it. I appreciate the prompt responses.

5. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    The Dotzhauer Cello Etudes were mentioned by him, or his student Ray Peterson in his book IIRC

6. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Coltrane spent a lot of time practicing Slonimsky. I never got much out of it (yet)

Kleinzeitnz likes this.