1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classical music/elevator music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kserg, Apr 5, 2006.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ok I’ve noticed that a lot of people think of "classical music" as "elevator music". Several times when people found out I listen to classical I got responds "how can you listen to that crap" and when I ask them what do they mean I get stuff like "every time I get into elevator I just can’t stand that stuff".

What do you guys consider to be elevator music? Do they actually play good classical music in elevators?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Good classical music will make you think, feel and be alive. The stuff in elevators is just sound masking, so you don't have to talk the people around you..... or just part of the general feeling that people have to be entertained every second of every day.

Read Neil Postman's "Entertaining Ourselves to Death" for some interesting points.

Here in Cincinnati there is a classical radio station that promotes itself by saying they play "soothing" classical music. That's real horsesh*t. Real art (and I include all kinds of music in that thought) should move you in some way. 'Soothing' is not all that matters in music, or any other artistic experience.

That's why I like the quote I have below. If we are looking only for relaxation as a sign of beauty, we miss out on so many things. The end of a love affair is often painful, usually not what we want to go through, yet.... such a thing can show us how powerful an experience life is. Music and Art can (and should) do that also.

Good classical music was designed to do that. Good Jazz, and good Rock can do that to.... if you can give yourself over to the experience.

If you are moved by elevator music, that's good news too... there is much growth ahead for you... and that is what life and art are about.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    "Elevator music?" I always connected that with bad Jobim imitations...

4. Elevator music to me typically sounds like "The Girl From Ipanema" or even "Spain" playing using really lousy midi, if that gives you any idea.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That is a quite good quote.

I doubt anyone can actually be moved by music in a elevator, the real reason I thought about this was that its quite sad that people get turned away from good music because they heard a cheap generic bad imitation of the it. To me its like not liking jazz because they didn’t like Kenny G.

6. when I think of classical I usually thinkg of Beethoven, Mozart, Vaugner, etc.

7. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Wagner, man. Wagner.

And while I'm at it . . . school/home.

8. I've never actually been in an elevator with music, but Marcus Alan's description is what I would associate with it. That said, there is a lot of (to my ear) bland classical stuff out there, which could also be called elevator music. Especially if its bad midi;)

9. usually i think of pop songs being playing by a chamber group when i think of elevator music, along with marcus alan's examples...last time i went in an elevator with music, i heard some orchestra playing "hits of the Beatles"

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I've heard that some shopping malls in Britain have taken to playing Classical Music over the air, as the kind of "youths" who do most of the shoplifting and causing trouble (but never actually buy anything), can't stand it - it's too "uncool" for them to take!! They move on and there has been less trouble and less crime!!

:D

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    To me elevator music is Kenny G and "smoothe jazz":eek: :bawl: