Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classical music for Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this...lately i´m trying to play some classical well known music on Bass.

I mean, pieces that we have have all heard (beethoven´s Ninth, Mozart, Bach, etc)...but i can´t do well...i need midis, and sheet music or transcriptions (online)...or at last source, tabs (transcriptions should be good).

any page? info?

or not only bass transcriptions, something i can see the notes...any tips...have you done this?

thanks in advance...i need to improve in this...need classical music as something to play in practice and as Solo.

(i know there´s a book of bach for bass out there...but not in my country)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you look over in the Double Bass section, someone else has posted the same query and been given a number of replies by the regulars over there.

3. You might find what you're looking for at:

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/

I know for a fact that their paper catalogue has arrangements of some well-known classical pieces for 1,2,3...n double-basses, and also the double-bass parts for the Beethoven syphonies etc etc. It's a little harder to wade through their on-line catalogue, so you might give them a call and ask - they're very helpful and I seem to remember their phone number being listed on the web-site.

Good Luck!

- Wil

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    One of the things I always wanted to do is something similar to Mekong Delta's Pictures At An Exhibition...play classical music with bass,guitar and drums.
    Actually we tried it for a couple of songs,but the guitarist got bored,he wasn't really into it...anyway the way we did it was take sheet music for piano,and then he would play the right hand and I'd play the left..maybe this helps

5. eswartz

eswartz

Feb 12, 2001
    One of my bass teachers had me get a book with some Bach transcriptions for cello. It helps a lot. Really helped my reading skills.

e

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    thanks everyone, really helpful