Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classical music suggestions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, May 29, 2002.

1. I know we did this with Blues, Sax, Jazz and a few others, but, what classical music would you recommend listening to and buying. I'm not a novice by any means, but, I'm not an authority on the subject either. Some that I know well are:

Vivaldi ------- The four seasons
    Beethoven --- 5th and 9th symphonies
    Debussy ----- Beau Soir
    Chopin -------Opus 66
    Holst -------- The Planets

I'm also just discovering Brahms. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Also, if possible, describe whether the piece or composer is mellow like Debussy or brash like Uranus from Holst's Planets. I prefer mellow mostly, but, loud and explosive is good too. List as many as you can.

Go ahead, spend my money. :)

Mike J.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've always been partial to Handel. I know some people can't stand him, but I generally find his stuff agreeable. The Messiah is the obvious pick among his work if you want one particular recommendation. Also check out Samuel Barber. His Adagio for Strings was the main theme used in the film Platoon. It's sort of serene but unnerving at the same time.

3. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Mike,

A favorite is Saint Saens, Synphonie No. 3 (the Organ Symphonie) and it has it all. It is incredible to listen to through a good stereo (when you cannot hear it live). When you get to the TB Phlliy Get-together, I'll play the CD for you and see what you think.

Another is Beethoven's String Quartets Op. 74. in E-flat major ("the Harp") and Op.95.in. f minor ("Quartetto Serioso") by the Cleveland Quartet on Telarc records

Dennis

4. i think the pachelbel canon is the absolute most beautiful piece of classical music- i have a version of wynton marsalis playing 3 trumpets- its soooooo beautiful.

i also reccomend the classics- mostly baroque and romance era composers- vivaldi, bach, corelli, hummel, handel, etc.

theres TONS of great classical composers/pieces. you can also look at new stuff- ie peices like Arutunian's trumpet concerto and the Hindemith trumpet concerto.

if i seem a little biased towards trumpet, its cuz i'm looking for classical audition pieces as we speak.;)

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Haydens trumpet concerto 2nd movement...pretty handy and sounds great (need good breath control though)

or

John Stanleys 'Trumpet voluntary'...very 'baroquian' so lots of triplets and hits a few top 'c's along the way as well....great for getting the lips in shape.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think we've done this before in a previous thread, but anyway!

My favourites are almost certainly Mahler's Symphonies - all of them in this order :

Turangalila Symphonie by Olivier Messiaen

Rite of Spring by Stravinsky

William Walton's Ist Symphony

Gorecki - Symphony No.3

Shostakovich's symphonies 1,4,5,6,7,8, and 11.

Vaughan Williams symphonies - if you like mellow : 3 and 5, otherwise in this order 4,7,1,2,6,8 & 9 .

Verdi's Requiem

Bruckner's Symphonies 7,8 & 9

Rachmaininov Piano Concertos - 2,3 and Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Wagner's Ring Cycle

Havergal Brian - Gothic Symphony

and many more that I will try to add later!!

7. HADYN! thats the guy i was trying to think of!

actually, in my audition last year i used hadyns first movement- the second is good too, as is the third. he's another staple composer, :D

trumpet voluntary is great- but theres a few versions- john stanely or henry purcell (i think) i its purcell's composition that is often confused with the "prince of denmark march"- they're basically the same piece, actually.

i've played purcell's version as both a solo and a quintet arrangment.:)

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    20th Centrury Music (awesome, alot of people don't understand it though)
    Stravinski
    - The Rite of Spring (most important piece of music of the last 100 years)
    -Petrushka
    -Histoir du Soldat
    -FireBird Suite(easy to listen to)

Debussy
    -Piano Preludes
    -La Mer

Ravel
    -Bolero

Rudolf Escher
    -Musique pour l'espirit en deuil

Other (easier to listen to)
    Tchaikovsky
    -Romeo and Juliet Overture
    -Symphony 6 , 4th movement (excellent)

Beethoven (anything is good)
    5th Symphony (duh)
    9th Symphony
    2nd and 3rd Symphonys
    Corianolus(sp?) Overture
    Piano Concerto 5
    Piano Sonata no.14 in C-sharp minor
    Piano Sonata no. 8 in C minor

Bach
    -Brandenburg Concertos no. 1-6
    -Passion According to St. Matthew
    -Fugues and Preludes

Mozart (watch Amadeus)
    -Symphonys 38-41
    -Clarinet Concerto in A major
    -Piano Concerto no. 22(3rd movement) & 24

Handel
    -Water Music Suite no. 2 Alla Hornpipe

9. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Theres a strange/good 'modern' trumpet piece called powerstation written by some guy called Buckley I think, really, really hard to play because of its dissonance and the interval jumps but it sounds......interesting.

Also Aaron Copelands 'El Salon Mexico' is a great piece (takes the themes of south american dance music from the 20s).

Purcells 'Ode on St Cecilias day' is another good one (first score I saw which had a melody written for 'castrati', the recorded versions/interpretations use counter tenors instead, a very very unique sound)

Sean O Riada Mise Eire, a great piece composed in the classical style but using Irish folk melodies.

Beethovens 5th

Mussorskys Pictures at an exhibition or night on bare/bald mountain (great basslines:D )

10. ooo! ooo! ooo!

i forgot this peice-

Procession of the Nobles- By Rimsky-Korsakov

11. Bruce Lindfield

Haven't heard of this as a piece - is it part of a larger work - like Polovtsian Dances or Scheherazade - I have the full score for Scheherazade, which is really interesting. Rimsky Korsakov is a great orchestrator and I love following his scores. Always colourful pieces to listen to, if not the most intense or complex.

12. Wow, that's a ton of recommendations! Thank you Dan G, Blux, Syrinx 026, Murf, Bruce L and Chris B.

Now, I'll be better armed when I go to J&R music world. Believe me, they have an intimidating classical section. I'm going to print this list.

Thanks again.
    Mike J.

www.jandr.com

Their site is pretty good, but, there's a lot more in the store itself.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Every bassist must own a copy of Bach's Cello Suites. It's mandatory.

I have the Rostropovich, which seems to divide the classical muso camp into lovers and haters, but I like it, heaving romanticism and all.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I gotta throw out Charles Ives' name.
    1)Symphony #2
    2)Holidays Symphony

...also, he has a short piece(2' 16")called "The Gong on the Hook and Ladder or Fireman's Parade on Main Street".
    (Damn, it takes longer to say the title than it does to listen to it).
    Anyway, it really sounds like a Free Jazz piece...amazing when one considers this s*** is composed & written out! Amazing.

I'll also 2nd Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

All 9 of Beethoven's Symphonies, too!

15. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You also might consider checking if your library has any of the music you want. This way you can preview composers and see if you like them. If you live near a University with a music program they will probably have thousands of pieces, and manuscripts.

Just an idea.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm going to move to this to RECORDINGS, because its more likely to get responses. But also, I was wondering if those of you that have passions for certain pieces could list which specific recordings, (i.e. conductor, orchestra), you suggest. I have found this very helpful in listening to classical music.

17. Bruce Lindfield

I started listening to Classical Music like this - joined the local music library and took out a couple of CDs a week - I recorded the ones I liked and built up a huge collection. Eventually though I just stopped listening to the tapes - if I really like a piece I want to hear it on CD, so I have bought CDs of all my favourites - several versions in most cases !

I also have favourite conductors and tend to follow what they do - so I have folowed the career of Sir Simon Rattle and have tended to buy CDs of anything he has done and have never been disappointed - his recent recording of Mahler's 10th with the Berlin Symphony was one of my all-time favourites; but I have ended up with some obscure things - like Nicolas Maw's "Odyssey" which I really like !