Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classical Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I am searching for some classical music pieces, specifically Beethoven. I can't read music so tabs would be nice. All help is appreciated.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    JENERATION_X,

All "classical" music is written in standard notation. A tiny amount of it has been transcribed (often with dubious results) into tab, but most has not. If you are really interested in classical music, you'd be a lot better off simply biting the bullet and learning to read. Try it....it's not as hard as you might think.

DURRL

3. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    My thanks to the both of you. A second question should anyone still be reading this, are there any good sites or books on how to learn to read music? I live in the middle of nowhere so, much to my disadvantage, music teachers are out of the question.

4. www.sheetmusic.com has a wide selection of classical stuff. Much of it is standard notation for upright bass and cello, but is easily converted to electric bass guitar. If you are interested in J.S. Bach, the is a book, J. S. Bach for bass that has ten pieces, written in standard and in tab, with a cd to follow along with. I have it and recommend it to anyone who wants to learn classical. I also have Beethoven's Fur Elise written into tab that I can send you if you want it.

5. I'm a very poor notation reader myself, so can't really help there. But a friend loaned me a copy of Bach's, Air on a G string, written for piano. (It seems quite a lot of classical stuff has been transcribed for piano and is, thus, much more simple to follow than the full orchestral score.)

From a sheet containing note names vs. string and fret numbers I was able to identify the notes on the piano score's bass staff and so play it on the bass.

I'd try a library - unlessyou know a pianist - for that sort of thing piano scores.

Hope that helps.

John

6. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    My thanks to all of you! I am suprised at the help I am getting! ChaosGwar I would very much like that tab of Fur Elise. I will look at both of those sites.
    Many thanks to all of you!