Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classical Pianist Turned Bassist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by robert betty, Apr 9, 2003.

1. I was a Classical Pianist competing all over the State for 10+ years when my brother started a band. He didn't need a keyboard, he needed a bass, so here 13 years later I'm a die hard bassist. One problem though. I was formally instructed in classical piano, and have never had a single lesson on a bass. I can read music fine, and know theory, my problem has been transferring the written music to the neck of the bass. You can hand me the most complex piece of sheet music and I can play it on the piano, hand me a relatively simple piece hand I have difficulty picking it out on the bass. I'm a decent bassist, and can play most things I hear, but have never had to play off of music and now I'm trying to and failing miserably, and can't understand why. Any Help??????????

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The fret board really isn't that far off from the keys of a piano, basically what it boils down too is every 2 frets is One full step, with that in mind open E and 12th fret are both E, same with every string and with a 24 fret the higher end of the fret board just a repeat of the notes, one octave higher. Then just work on your postitions, instead of traveling down the string to play that A or what not play the other strings, its set up sorta like the keys of a piano, I hope I help, I'm not the greatest at applying sheet, sight to fret board but I can do it if I have too, but yeah, others on the site will be able to help more I'm still young at this! hope I helped some,,,,,, haha someone elaborate on my rambling!

3. rudeboymcc

rudeboymcc

Apr 6, 2003
    i am having exactly the same problem. one important thing to understand is that there are at least two ways of playing some notes (different strings), whcih prevents you going from top to bottom of the neck.

another problem, is that with guitar, you can't tell what note you're on unless you look at your hand, or play it. on the piano you can feel the black notes and you'll know where you are. i think it's just a matter of getting used to playing another instrument.

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    That comes from practice, keep practicing your positions and reading transitions from that to your fingers and in no time you wont even have to think about where your hand is.

5. With you're experience, you'll have it down in no time. I know all the notes on the neck, and I suck at theory, so there ya have it. :D

I've been thinking about taking up classical keyboard (have on in my room), but not all the time. I prefer the feel of a bass....you can hold it..and cherish it...and sleep with it...and make love with it...and feed it...and walk it.... :D