classical thumb and couble thumb?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tucker, Aug 19, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    This might have already been asked but I don't know where to find the thread but my question is the following.
    Classical thumb and double thumb is what Victor Wooten uses as one of his techniques. Well are they both the same technique or are they both different. Like what is the difference? :confused:
    Another question. when I started to try classical thumb or double I dont know which one I'm using. I'll explain what I do.

My thumb is parallel to the string and i go back and forth up and down, in and out of the strings. And then i ocassionaly add in some pops in there. Im still weak at it though but i do have a good consitent speed considering that I taught myself this weak after seeing someone do it( and hearing Vic)
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Classical thumb is just a song on his first solo cd.
    He call this technique double thumbing.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    correct me if i'm wrong, but if you ask some of the guys over on the DB side, they might be able to tell you a little more about it. yes, double thumbing is a technique where victor wooten uses his thumb as sort of a guitar pick, and he also does triplets by doing a finger pluck after he releases with his double thumb. you can hear this in classical thump, which is a, i 've seen upright players, when they play in the upper register, turn their hand over and have the whole thing on the fingerboard and use their thumbs to "fret" notes (i'm not an upright player, so my terminology is prolly all hosed up). steve bailey does this on his electric, as does john patitucci...they both have small hands and play sixes with necks as wide as interstates, so...try it out...if you practice it, it will come...:D