"Classical Thump"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassmasta86, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Hey there fellow bassists!

I'm a long time browser first time poster to this forum, and I just have a couple of questions regarding Victor Wootens technique.

I recently started to pay more attention to his music, and I'm attempting to learn "Classical Thump".

Could you guys please give me an overview on what techniques he uses in that song? I've already looked over something called "open hammer pluck". Is this in the song? Also, are there double-thumps? How do you do these?????:confused:

Am I the only one who has trouble with this stuff? Vic seems like a machine!

Thanks guys,

2. I guess no one knows Victor or has any time out of there busy schudules to help out a fellow bass player in need:(. Please guys, I really need some responses.

3. MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    I like to use acouple of wooten methods. First off I would say to practice the 'down, up, pluck' method. Use your thumb as a pick almost--slap the string, and go through the string, then when you pull your hand up, you get the up slap (pick). As your hand is coming up from that down up slap with your thumb, do pull off. (maybe I am bad at explaining this, but I dont know)

You get mad rapid fire tripplets doing this, and it opens the door for fast playing. practice this on different strings, and the same string.

Upgrade to the down up, pluck pluck, which is the same as the rapid fire tripplets, but add another pull off with your middle finger.

And as you stated, the open hammer pluck is useful too. Basically wooten is a machine, and you have to think like a machine to play like him. "how many notes can you play with the least effort' then just apply practice and speed to the effort, and then you have some wicked fast stuff.
    I hope this helped some
  4. Spazzout

Aug 7, 2002
    Bellingham, WA
    go to his website and do the exersises, but be carefull, my bass teacher's jaw dropped when he heard Wooten. it just takes practice and indurance. in the begening, you pluck the upen string with your thumb, hammer the nest note, and hit it again with your index finger.
  5. funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    hey bassmasta86 where do u get the tabs or do u really wanna tab it yourself? :eek:
    on his page he says that a tabbook will be released soon. is it out yet. anyone knows?
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Classical thump is just a big double thumping excercise.

practice doing this

hammer-on down/up...the down up is with your thumb

practice scales like this, practice songs you know like this, and then once you feel comfortable with that technique you will be able to play about 60% of classical thump....the other big technique he uses in that song is Tapping, a lot of the really really fast lines are tapped. and for that the primary tapping line he uses is 1-5-9-10(or 11)
    there are a couple of other tricky little things that he does, but when you break it down technique-wise its not the most difficult song in the world....that said, I can play it, but not perfectly.
  7. I'm not sure about the transcription book, but I found an alright(not finished) tab at this site:

Have fun..I know I will :p
  8. The Techniques he uses are the Open hammer pluck (Im still not too sure what that is yet), Double thumbing (Mrbungle explained what that is) and tapping (im sure you know what that is). And no, your not the only one that has troubles with this stuff. Victor Wooten is a bass monster, his techniques are very hard to play but once mastered you will become a master musician like Wooten is.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    he also uses fingerstyle playing for most of the riffs in the end(believe it or not)
  10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    while i strive for "perfect technique" myself i am of the opinion that technique is not the key to musicianship.

11. `yea i guess i meant to say "you will be a better musician if you perfect the techniques"
  12. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, this is exactly the statement that i cannot agree with. your musical abilities aren't necessarily
    connected to your technical proficiency.

as much as i hate to take him as an example (cliché) but jaco once said: "A chimpanzee could learn to do what I do physically.
    But it goes way beyond that.
    When you play, you play life."

so while there maybe a lot of players that can perform the most difficult techniques it doesn't mean that they can utilize them to create great music.
  13. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    You have to know your instrument well enough to not have to think about it when playing. I've seen some MONSTER sax players act as though they're not even playing--like they're talking rather than blowing air through their horns. That's where the technique comes in.

Then, you have know know what to say (or play in this matter) and how to say it. Using your theory, chords, scales, whatever to know how to put your words into music.

14. The book is out; I have it. I don't have any of it written out, though, because I'm afraid of copyright stuff...
  15. funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    wooow this post was over 1 year old, and it was my last post for about a year. and now i just looked by and found ur reply, what a coincidence.
    is the book just about tapping or fingerstyle and slapping, too? how much fingerstyle/slapping is there in it?
  16. There's a good bunch of everything...I really am not that advanced yet, although I can play the first 1-1/2 pages of classical Thump...(I'm proud of that accomplishment!) It's actually a songbook, with both notation and tab, so don't expect much "teaching-wise," although there is a commentary on each song in the beginning of the book...

17. when I play classical thump (no I can't play all of it, I'm fast, but not that fast and I can't tap for crap lol) but alot of the stuff he does in the first minute and a half of it I do straight up finger style...I can't seem to double thump or OHP very well so i just fly pizzicato style...wow, I really need to learn more techniques...practicing Double Thumping has my thumb sore! oh well no pain no gain!
  18. Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill

I'd say technique increases your potential as a musician, not your musicianship itself. If someone has God-like technique with sub-par taste/creativity, they're not much more than a 'gymnast'. Cool for a few songs, Annoying for a few+1.
    Now, as for great technique combined with great taste....a deadly combination :bassist:
  19. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah the classical thump song is amazing, so brilliant, victor wootens mind must be very powerful to create such a piece. and the speed and technique's he uses are quite cool. i learnt the double thump technique, it takes a while to get. its basically, slap,hammeron, thumb-upstroke. and u get a triplet thing.. hurts ur thumb nail though...
  20. EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    He wrote it in high school too... his compositions have only gotten better since that one too.