Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by mazaremba, Jul 1, 2004.

1. mazaremba

Apr 15, 2004
    Hi, I am a very new stand up player (infact I just started learning in June about 2 weeks ago.) I used to play trumpet and I have played eletric bass for a long time, but I have a question about classical/arco style bass.

What are some great recordings of some serious classical bass songs? (Hopefully they can be bought over napster.)

I have a lot of John Williams, but I am looking for something that really features the bass, by any composer. Please no jazz things, I have enough! (nothing against jazz, but I want to hear the bowed bass!) Thanks
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you are asking for the impossible, in both those sentences....:meh:
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    +1, and true; no one I know other than me can stand to listen all the way through.
  4. Saint- Saens "The Elephant" from his Carnival of Animals is a great piece that features the bass.
    However, If you want to really hear the depth and complexity that is truly possible with the bass (especially the upper ranges) you want to look for specific artists. Edgar Meyer (previously mentioned), Gary Karr, and Geoffrey Bradetich are good to strat with. However, you probably won't fund their music on napster. :)
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Watch it if it starts to look a little cloudy, Bruce. Would hate to see you drown.

What is that thing you play, anyhow?