Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classical

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Does anyone know of any classical resources online... or better yet classical bass specific resources? Like Back and Beethoven. There are many classical songs that i would like to learn. And somwhere i heard classical songs sharpen technique?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You might get further if you search for "Bach".

The daddy of all bass players.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Holst was amazing, check out "The Planents" suite. I show all my metal head friends "Lord of the underworld" (Pluto? can't remember) and their jaws drop.

I grew up on the stuff, my dad was first chair violin in his high school. So i had to listen to it when i was younger. i then thought that (since age 5 to 12) that any songs with lyrics, or singing, were needless, and stupid..... I just really liked that stuff. it really changed my life.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I think you mean 'Bringer of war - Mars'

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No, i'm sure I didn't. that song is WEAK compared to "Lord of the underworld".

I have all his work, and i'm almost possitive that it's "Pluto, Lord of the underworld"

If YOU havent heard it, i REALLY recomend it. My metalhead guitarists freaked out. i then told him it was made pre world war one. It's "Pretty evil man!".

7. I haven't listened to my recording of the Planets in a while, but if you're thinking of the heavy, violent piece, it's most likely Mars: Bringer of War (this piece is also used in a trailer for the second X-Men movie, I happened to notice).
    Also, there is no piece called Pluto or Lord of the Underworld in Holst's "The Planets." :)
    If the piece you're thinking of starts off with just tympani in a 5/4 pattern, that's Mars.
    (Excellent pieces of music, by the way. A couple of years ago I bought the orchestral score for the entire thing for only $12 or so. I didn't play bass back then, but maybe I should dig it out and see if there was anything cool there.)

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I STAND COREECTED;) it was NOT holst who did that song. And your right, the only remotly heavy song he wrote was "Mars-bringer of war"... man,,, wish i could find out who did this thing.... it really is amazing.......

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    There wasn't one for Pluto in Holst's Planets suite. D'ya know why? It hadn't been discovered yet. He didn't do one for Earth either. I assume that hadn't been discovered yet either.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Either that or he figured that Earth's music is all around us and didn't need including in his suite ;)

Wulf

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I prefer my reason :D

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hmmmm
    I thought he only based his suite on the songs the romans knew at the time. And your right, they didn't know about pluto.

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The songs the Romans knew?

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    oops....planets...my bad

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know about "underworld" but this thread certainly plumbs the depths for lack of knowledge about classical music!! ;)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member