Classiest Conklin I've ever seen.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quallabone, Jul 19, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    With the black hardware on black finish, it looks a little too "heavy metal" for me. The binding is a nice touch though.
  2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I dunno, looks very 'formal' to me. Perfect for a wedding gig, if you could keep buffalo wing sauce off the black finish.
  3. I want a 5 string version.

That would be sweet. And maybe a melt ebony/maple board would make it super nice.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Looks like everyone's getting in on the Aerodyne/old Ibanez Roadstar act.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:rollno: Gah! when will the G.A.S. ever end!! :rollno: I want that in a 5 string version!! Make it so!! :eyebrow:
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Only thing that bass is missing is a mullet. ;)

Interesting. It looks like my Steinberger, except with three extra strings, and that silly headstock thingy.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Cue MarkBeem in 5, 4, 3..... :D
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I often wonder if people think this about me when posts have the word "Alembic" in them. :oops:

I would like this bass better if it had gold hardware to contrast the black. Black is beautiful, but, dayum.....

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's the only conklin you'll see, or close to it, with non-wood binding. it was made for a guy named ted whitmore, who wanted a conklin with the general look and feel of a rickenbacker, at least in the body. conklin usually uses binding made of wood, like on the necks of instruments, either maple binding or ebony binding, but this was the actual plastic binding material.

10. James? I always thought your name was "Alembic" :D

And i agree about gold hardware...hell even nickel or chrome..ya just need some contrast IMO as well.

In general..nice bass though.

11. No matter how hard I try, I could neve mistake that for a Ric. :D :ninja:
  12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Maybe he could get a Ric double-neck and then string it like an 8 string?
  13. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    It was the first that came to my mind... If it was mine, I would choose pau-ferro to the fretboard and chrome hardware That would be a ric look alike!!!! :bassist:
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOL... You know.. that bass really doesn't do anything for me. I don't know... Maybe it's because it does look more like a Fender Aerodyne than a Ric (to me).. :meh:
  15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I think that's the first conklin i REALLY like aside from the freaky ones wiht all the woods (like JT's and I think Beem too) I think gold hardware or chrome would look really ugly with the binding and the maple board. I wouldn't change it at all except remove 1-3 string(s) and maybe ebony FB but then it would maybe look too goth. I really like the all black Alembic bass though (stealth bass?) What kind a strings are those? I want strings with purple at the end.
  16. I'd put white hardware on that thing, pickups included, to go with the binding. Monochrome bass!

Personally, though, I'd go with either a melted finish or something with an interesting pattern in a bright aqua-blue colour, were I able to afford / play a Conklin.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ebony fretboard, satin chrome finish on the hardware, and the conklin logo in mother pearl, outlined in black (a la the FBass in the "white basses" thread). That would look freakin' amazing.

EDIT: Ooo! Ooo! And white binding on the fretboard. Damn that'd be cool!
  18. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I really like that bass. I wonder what it would look like with gold hardware and gold binding...I don't think I've ever seen something like that before.
  19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    ebony fretboard with white binding would look killer! throw in some block inlays... *droool*