Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classifieds for teachers?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by rabid_granny, Apr 23, 2003.

1. I just got a bass guitar teacher and made him aware that Talkbass existed. He thought it would be a good place to look for students. Can he do that? I haven't seen any teacher SPAM...ever.

What about a forum for posting teacher ads?

Example:

Title: Vancouver, BC, Canada - Rabid Granny

Thread content: I teach in Vancouver and have 30 years experience. I'm available on weekends...blah blah blah.

I figure only dedicated bassists would be on this site (rather than the guitarist-turned-bass-teacher-types). Not only would it be good for teachers and students, it would highlight the importance of having formal instruction.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I like this idea - a lil shameless self promotion never hurt anyone! :D

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I think this is a great idea. I'm trying to think of a good forum title... Teachers & Instruction?

One forum could function for both teacher wanted and teacher available postings... or we could split it into two forums.

Thoughts?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Sounds like a good idea - split it up, as is done in the For Sale forums...

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How would bogus, self professed teachers be weeded out?

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Wouldn't they weed themselves out after the first "lesson"?

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Only if the student is proficient enough to recognize it. By then, money and some personal information has already been exchanged.

Not saying it's a bad idea. Just pondering the ramifications a forum like that would have.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I see what you mean.

If I were to go looking for a teacher based solely on these forums, I'd be looking at their post contents as well as classified ads.

Someone who frequently posted in GI and Technique would be the one I'd go looking for.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont think you'd really need 2 seperate forums for teachers wanted and teachers available. I think that just a teachers available forum would be sufficient enough.

Chances are pretty good that the teacher will have posted in the teachers available part, so the student wouldnt need to say he's looking for a teacher. He can just go to the teachers available forum and hopefully find one in his area.

Originally posted by Blackbird

Not saying it's a bad idea. Just pondering the ramifications a forum like that would have.

Originally posted by thrash_jazz

If I were to go looking for a teacher based solely on these forums, I'd be looking at their post contents as well as classified ads.

Someone who frequently posted in GI and Technique would be the one I'd go looking for.

1. There are also people who are only qualified to teach beginning bassists, and thats good for them, because it helps them earn a little extra cash on the side while teaching someone the very basics.

2. Then you have the student who wants to do nothing more than learn songs/riffs. If someone on here is willing to teach someone just how to play songs and riffs, then he should be able to profit from that.

2. Then of course you have the more experienced who can teach beginers thru professional levels. (no need to even go into that one)

But it should be up to the would be student to decide on which type of teacher he wants.

One thing that may be a good idea to help the student decide, might be to put a FAQ at the top of the forum, of all the threads involving, what to look for in a teacher, what type of questions to ask them to determine their competency, etc. This would help keep the sites good name in tact and help a new commer to keep from being conned.

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My concern with this list is that it defines "teacher" in terms that are too broad. By that definition, any person "a" who knows a little more than "b" is qualified to teach "b". Student "b", being inexperienced, might get some good info from a teacher like that, but anyone who has aspirations to teach must be able to establish a short, a medium and a long term goal for the student. That is very hard if the teacher isn't that much further down the line than the student. Plus, a good teacher is one who has experienced and overcome negative practice/playing habits and is able to point those out to the student early on. The time to take care of those is asap, not two years down the line when the negative habit may become a hindrance to further development.

I also think that it's better to keep the number of instructors to a minimum. The longer you stay with one teacher, the better. That way, a student and teacher can gauge the progress together and adress questions as they come up. Changing teachers frequently creates spurts of knowlege which are not always necessarily connected, plus, there's always that period where the teacher and student have to get acquainted with one another. It's always back to square one.

Sure, we can make it an informal thing and anyone who thinks they can teach has the right to try. It'll surely make them more appreciative of people who do that for a living, but it would be a shame if someone became a self-styled "teacher" just because it's a skill they think they can use to generate some cash.

11. I don't think you can - online. But at least a listing will help students identify potential teachers. I found my teacher through another member of TB, bit of a fluke. Prior to that, I drove around town but couldn't find a specialized teacher.

I like the idea of a locked FAQ that would give a guideline for finding the right kind of teacher.

12. I just noticed the lost and stolen gear section. Any movement on this one?

13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's been slow, which is a good thing.

Then again, it'll be good if people check in regularly.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I still think ya'll are trippin. I really hate to say it, but its a buyer beware kind of issue. Its the net. Any logical person should know that any and everyone on here could be a potential scam. I also seriously doubt that some idiot who doesnt know much about teaching will offer to teach. But hey, he has that right if he wants to. Its the students money and if he wants him, then he's got that right. I dont wanna see anyone scammed either. But if they do get scammed, Im not gonna lose sleep over it, nor feel that bad for the guy who got screwed. Theres too much information at this site to tell you what to look for in a teacher. So if they get screwed then IMO then they're an idiot.

15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Nothing's idiot proof to the sufficiently talented idiot":D

I guess getting someone's name off the net is not too different from getting it off a message board in a music store, except that in the latter case, you might be able to get some info from the store people. The guy might even teach at the store.

At any rate, your post was about using the net as a tool for teachers and students to locate each other. My post was about students getting the best value for their money. No trippin' and no contradiction there, IMO.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida