Classifieds & the "Marketplace"

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Jul 27, 2004.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Ok, I'm thinking myself in circles here, so it's time for some outside opinions to hopefully get things back on track :D

The issue is the TalkBass Classifieds. Currently, we have 4 forums that house member-submitted classifieds ads ("For Sale" and "Wanted" forums on the BG and DB forums). The ads are posted as regular forum threads.

I have put together a new piece of software that's more tailored to ad-posting, which is running here:

It includes features such as image upload, image view with product title, ad expirations, 'Sold It!' button for sellers to clear sold product, etc.

There are some ads posted already - take a look at how they're presented, and let me know what you think - if we should stick to the old forum-integrated approach, or use this new format? One of the benefits of using the old classified forums is that products turn up in forum keyword searches...

Also - the vast majority of publications do not offer free classifieds - I am tossing around the idea of charging a flat fee (under $5/month) for posting access to the classifieds (for non-supporting members only - supporting members would have full access). What are your thoughts on this? Should TalkBass be entitled to share some of the $ that users make on classifieds transactions, or would charging a fee cause too much harm (we'd probably see a drop in the # of ads posted) to this resource?
  2. i like the new classified section, but i wouldn't charge for it, maybe charge for things like extended listings, longer time limits, stuff like that, but a basic listing should be free.

just my thoughts...

3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dont think that there should be an extra fee for the classifieds, but im 50/50 split over whether posting access should be limited to supporting members only.

IMO it reduces (if only slightly) some of the risks invovled in internet transactions and stops people coming and using tb as a place to sell their goods without contributing to the ongoing costs of the site. However, by maximising the amount of ads, we are also creating more great opportunities for TB members to pick up gear at good prices!

I wonder whether we could introduce an "honour" system where people who sell something on TB are encouraged to pony up the $20 to be a supporting member (ie its not mandatory, but a PM or two to people after goods have been sold if they are not supporting members).
  4. to this i would add "to non-supporting members", because it would seem strange that a shadowy figure would shell out the $20 to screw someone on a sale, but than again, it could happen i guess... :confused:
  5. bassboy7

Jun 21, 2004
    Hey Paul,
    This may get complicated, you couldmake an ebay like auctin stand for instuments and accessories. I think that for the aucton there could be a slight listing fee but nothin for the classifieds. I think that an auction block could be really nice for this entire community.
  6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Though i'm not a seller this is just a suggestion. How about a one time $10 fee for someone to post in the marketplace but keep the classifieds free. This way if you sell something on the marketplace and do spend the one time fee of $10 you are most likely to be serious about your sale.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't see the point of having 2 areas for selling items.

Personally, as a "Sponsored Member" of the Market Place, I don't like it that my ad's don't appear in searches. I've seen duplicate ads, one in the Classifieds & one in the Marketplace. So you can do a search, find a product & then go to the Market place to see the full product. I can't do this. :(

I like the way the Market place is laid out but I agree with Smash. I'd like to have my avatar in each listing.

If you deceide to keep both areas open one Ideas would be to have the "Sponsored Member Shops" stickied at the top of the Classified forums. Eventually, the "Sponsored Member Shops owners" will be paying for this service & it might bring more exposure to the product.