Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classless Soccer Fan's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I found this as I read my sports section today:

Crowd jeers eliminated U.S. team with chants of 'Osama!'

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10> </TD><TD class=page><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Feb. 11, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports </TD><TD width=10> </TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10> </TD><TD class=page>GUADALAJARA, Mexico -- The boos nearly drowned out The Star-Spangled Banner, and a few dozen fans chanted "Osama! Osama!" as the United States was eliminated by Mexico in Olympic men's soccer qualifying.

A loud anti-American crowd hollered as Mexico beat the United States 4-0 Tuesday night in the under-23 tournament, claiming a berth in the Athens Olympics. As U.S. players left the stadium for their bus, several fans -- some clutching beers -- chanted "Osama! Osama!" in reference to al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I realize it was just a few dozen out of the thousands, but this is pretty lame. I can't understand why these people dislike the USA so much.

-Mike

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    To discuss the reasons would be pollitical, however there are many countries (and they tend to be poorer nations) that have been adversly affected by US foreign policy (and changes to it) over the years.

That *could* be a reason why these people dislike the US. Alternatively they may just have drunk too much and thought it was funny....or been outraged by the baring of janet jackson's boob ;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Some people just take soccer too seriously.
    Too much "politics" for OT. Closed.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would just like to acknowledge one of JMX's first moderator duties. Very nice work. You'll fit in here well.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.