1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classy Bill Wyman!! A king of Syncopation

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Langueta, May 6, 2010.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    After buying and skimming Rolling Stones Bass Collection and Steel Wheels bass transcriptions, I will rank Mr Bill Wyman as one of the greatest bass players. I can compare him to others like, Paul Macca, Chuck Rainey, James Jamerson, etc. Perhaps he is not as flashy as some, but I can play some Jamerson, and some bill bass lines are not so easy to play them exactly as recorded.

He uses a lot of syncopation, in every bar, he donĀ“t repeat himself and he is original. His approach to space its out of this world.

I wonder if he could read cause his lines are creative with variations. His approach of notes is mostly chord tones, and some chromatic shifts, but what makes him so incredible IMO is his rhitmic approach.
    I notice how influenced he was by Soul and Reggae, his lines represesent very well that style. His lines are very well organized and he can also come with the hook of a song.
    Some of his best lines IMO are Start me up(Reggae), Hearts for sale (Souly), Rock in a hard place (pay attention to the 16th notes here, very funky bass line), Miss you (disco), Mixed Emotions, Respectable, Beast of Burden, Star Star, Fool to cry, When the whip comes down, Under my thumb, She is so cold, Waiting on a friend, Too much blood, and many more.

After he left the stones, the groove is missing, Darryl jones can be more flashy than Wyman. He is very well prepare, however he should study more the songs. He use less syncopation and the bass lines lost a lot of groove. Is Wyman a better bassist than Darryl?????

2. +1 When Bill was with the band he could really add that extra something to the Stones sound. I believe it had to do with the swing he could add to basslines. That and he never was busy to be busy... but man when he was ON he could definitley move around the fretboard, example being "When The Whip Comes Down" from the Hampton Coliseum show (last stop on the 1981 Tattoo You tour). Love that version.

3. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    +1!!I think from 1978-1993 when he left are the best studio and live recordings wyman made with the stones!! Those bootlegs are incredible. I would be incredible if they release a box set with all of them!

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Its like this : his best stuff is found on the old stuff.
    Take 19th Nervous Breakdown, I know ancient but still worth listening to. Get off my Cloud and Satisfication and the Last time all done by 1965-66. Its basic bass rhythm section with the best drummer C. Watts.......the bass is felt and not heard...
    You Tube :;;;;;;

..:cool:

5. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I disagree, that is not what I mean with syncopation and the variation of his bass lines that makes him interesting.
    You should listen some girls, tatoo you, the bootlegs of 1978, 1982, undercover, steel wheels, and his work with the rhythm kings.
    Take a look at the transcription of Satisfaction and the transcription of Mixed Emotions, Beast of Burden or Hearts for sale and you will understand what I mean.