Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clavinet sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ace123, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Looking for an effect that can get a sound close to that of a clavinet (See stevie Wonders "Superstition" for example of the sound i'm looking for). Anything that comes close?

Thanks in advance.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How about a clavinet?

:bag:

But seriously, nothing to duplicate it, but an envelope filter (auto-wah) or wah wah pedal might get the funk feeling that a Clavinet gives you.

3. smoothbrother

smoothbrother

May 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Just started messing around with my new EBS BassIQ Envelope Filter and the first thought in my head, upon hearing the first sounds, was "What new Stevie Wonder songs can I play with this thing?"

It doesn't sound like a clavinet, but definitely sounds funky as hell

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The Stevie Wonder clav sound is one of the "clav into an auto wah" sounds. I'd roll off the bass and try to get some distortion mixed into the bass signal before the auto-wah/filter pedal and see how close you can get.

I played a short set at a friend's gig and had to play a J bass through a beat up Peavey guitar combo, and dang if it didn't sound like a clav!

Hope that helps.

5. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Yes i was thinking some distortion to go along with an envelope filter, i'll just have to mess around now and try to find something that is pretty close and let you guys know what i do. First i need to get a distortion pedal though...