Claypool Tone

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've been playing around with Jerry was a Race Car dirver lately, and I know I'm playing the right notes, but I can't quite get the right tone. Yes I know it is tapped, so don't tell me that. I've found that shifting to my bridge pickup full open, and my neck pickup off helps, but its still not right. I play a Bubinga Cirrus, through a Peavey BAM. Any one have an idea?
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    on my rig i found setting your gain at 11 o'clock, bass at 10 o'clock, mids 2 o'clock, and treble 4 o' clock. i also put my blend for my pups right in the middle of both. just futs around with it. sorry if im not much help.
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Les' tone on that song is really heavy in the mids and highs. Turn them up and you will get there man.
  4. Are you playing on a 6-string fretless bass? Oh yeah and your gonna want some badass overdrive for the chorus.
  5. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Its a 6, but not fretless. I'm not worried about the chorus yet, I just want to get the intro down.
  6. You need a fretless to play it properly cos the g# is slightly flat. switch all your gain to the front pickup. Other than that get his bass, it's beautiful, Carl Thompson I believe.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Is playing it out of tune equivalent to playing it "properly"? :D
  8. Recently (well... recently being the last time Primus was on tour) Les played Jerry on a fretted... so you don't NEED a fretless for it.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Interesting...nobody mentioned get his hands. ;)

He uses lots of high mids and a bit of overdrive, it sounds like.