Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Claypool's Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Apr 1, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    What distortion does Les use? Like is "My name is Mud" or "John The Fisherman" or "Jerry was a Racecar Driver". Also, what other effects, if any, does Les use?

2. i'm not sure but i think that les uses a parallel guitar amp along with his bass amp.that gives him an overdriven type of sound. he also uses a fretless simulator(unless it really is a fretless), and various effects pedals for guitar and bass including wah pedals.i'm sure he also uses various eq pedals as well...

3. That's a real fretless there guy! :) Les uses all Carl Thomson (Thompson?) basses, strung with CT strings (AAGG tuned EADG). He uses a Big Muff, but that's the only one I know of. He has an ADA MB-1 and ADA MP-1 (modded by ADA to let the lows pass through better). Most of his settings on the preamps are just to balance the gain from his various basses. I'm not sure if some of the effects he uses are off the ADA's but I guess some of them are. A partial list of what he uses: distortion, phaser/flanger, envelope filter (I'm not sure about this one), and most importantly, FINGERS. He also uses lots of chords, like power chords.

4. that's cool I was just making a shot in the dark...
    the effects listed would probably work just as well as what he uses...if you already knew then why did you post the question??

5. nevermind you didn't post the question...sorry.

6. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    It's alright Mr. H, it happens to the best of us :) Well thanks, I've been meaning to get a really wicked distortion pedal and I love the ones les uses. Thanks guys.

7. BTW Mr. H, glad to see you cut your teeth on a Primus thread! Welcome to the board!

8. personally i like to use a zoom 505 guitar pedal miked through a dano nifty fifty paralleled with a swr working mans 10 with a 12 ext speaker... i find that it sounds great. i use my own custom blended effects... but there is only so musch you can do with a zoom 505, so i will probably be getting a dod bass processer with synth and an expression pedal. I'm also hopefully going to get a dean q6 6-stringer with quilted maple top and amberburst finish...check it out...

9. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    What??!! you use a zoom 505 (guitar effect pedal) on bass! You should be sing the zoom 506.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have a big muff pi fuzz reissue, excellent for bass!!! I would recommend it for sound. I've heard some negative things about the quality, but I've had no trouble. -B

11. when i saw claypool live he had multi effects to do all his sounds© He mostly used the boss ME-30B or ME-33B ¥might be wrong about the models, i just know it looks like those¤, and i dont know what the individual stomp boxes were, I could have sworn one was bassballs though© He mostly left the distortion on, and then used delay for solos, with a smidge of a envalope fallower© ¥i saw him wiht the Frog Brigade, and then Again on newyears eve which was some sort of Frogbrigade band, kinda crazy at one time there was 3 drummers, 3 guitars, and 2 bassest, including claypool©©© felt sorry for the other bass player when claypool had him solo right after he'd finished an amazing solo, and thne proceded to solo on top of the other bass players solo©©© great show¤

p©s© i apologise about the little symbols if their showing up©©© I'm working on getting rid of them

12. I actually don't know what exact effects he uses, but he has some overdrive, wah, and he has a fretless bass now and then.

13. You're talking about the 6 string fretless and his backup such as the ones on Tales from thePunchbowl? I don't think he uses them that much anymore. Not sure though.

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dont forget the most important effect Claypool used on fretless...bad intonation!:D

15. HAHA you're right!

16. I happen to have met Les a few times and I asked him how he got that distortion. He said it was him overdriving his amp along with the distortion from his ADA MB-1. Now he uses the Lexicon MPX-G2 and a couple of little pedals(Bassballs, some Envelope Follower)

17. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    he uses a midi pedal board. im not sure if this is any help at all.