Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Claypool's Oysterhead???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 25, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

ok, despite my rants on cheesy bass heroes, anyone get a chance to listen to Claypool's foray with Stewart Copeland (frickin' awesome!!) and Trey Anastasio (another cheesyball...) in Oysterhead??? is it worth getting???

oh yea, and while i'm here, pick up Metheny's "Bright Sized Life". very very nice jaco meets Metheny counterpoint.

2. from what I've heard about Oysterhead it should be really worth the money. I haven't heard the album myself yet, but Claypool playing with Copeland sounds pretty good to me, can't wait to get the album myself......

3. I saw Oysterhead on a recent repeat of "Reverb" on HBO. Pretty interesting. Not exactly my kind of music, but quite a lot of talent on one stage. Copeland is still amazing.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Didn't like it at all. You'd think with a lineup like that, you'd be getting Primus Phish Police. Guess again. The songs go nowhere. There's some technique on display, but you can get that from any of the members' other albums.

The whole is less than the sum of the parts.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like it, not amazing but really good. Imagine Claypool's style at it's quirkiest, with Copeland and Anastasio influencing the music. It is NOT like Primus at all. I think people looking for that or in your face fireworks will be disappointed.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like the cd. I think it would be worth your time and money to pick up the CD. What Blisshead said is right, Its not like Primus. So if you want Primus, go get a Primus CD.

7. I'd say it's definately more Primus influenced than anything else, and while I love Primus, I love the Police more. I thought the three of them would have much better chemistry, but it turns out kind of...blah.

8. I saw them live and have got the cd. I wouldnt say theres no primus influence in it, but IMHO the bass has a strong presance but doesnt quite lead as much as primus. Its almost like a cross between Frog Brigade and Primus.

9. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    This is a "must have" album in my opinion if you want to be a bass player; in any style of music. It's utterly brilliant from start to finish.

10. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i have it, and it is an excellent album... the thing to keep in mind however is that all the songs are just jams... they whipped this album up very fast just from jamming a bit together, so there aren't any pyrotechnics really, and the songs are loose.... but i still think its a great album.... just shows how insanely talented these guys are

11. i have the album and i like it....

12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I really like this album. I think the songs combine a good mix of Trey's and Les's writing stlyes.