Clean Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by libkavon, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Just wondering if anyone would have advice on a rig that Wont color a bass sound too much. I Would like a rig that sounds exactly like the bass i put into it and not the Amp I put the bass into, if you follow me. Any Suggestions????
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why not run directly into a power amp? Perhaps Peavey's CS Series power amps would be up your alley?
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Lib - the preamp/poweramp route is the way to go. In your case, avoid tube-driven anything. The tubes give you a softer ceiling but can give you a dirtier, overdriven tone.

Also, get as many watts as you can afford. The more watts available (headroom) the less likely you are to distort your signal. QSC, Crest, Makie, Carvin, have many options.

Once you have good clean power, get the pre that you like. I'm a tone freak. I have to change my settings all the time. If you want the same tone all the time, get something with minimal controls. Analog controls are the easiest. How about a Trace Elliot V-type? I use an Ampeg SVP-Pro which can do you just about any tone a pre amp can get (plus it's a good price).

Make sure you get the tone from your cabs you want. Don't skimp on the cabs. Look for a configuration that suits you. I like 210 on a 115 for clear mids and smooth bottom without too much piercing highs. Some folks like 2x112s, 410s...Different brands can have different tones too. Take your time. Don't just get two cabs because everyone else does, don't just stick with one brand because you want the rig to match. Cabs are a big deal.

The other thing is get good quality connections. Shorter/thicker cables do make a difference.

A good quality rig like what I'm talking about here has more impact on your tone than that piece of wood in your hands.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I third the EA recommendation. I've been using the iamp 600 exclusively as of late and it's remarkably uncolored.
  5. Thanks a bunch Guys, Im going to get my hands on a power amp and see about going that route.
    Its tough to try things out here though, I really live in the sticks! the closest place to even hear a decent amp/preamp is at least a 3 hour drive.
    Im not a big fan of the trace Elliot stuff, I have one of thier heads and it just always sounds like a trace, thats my problem at the moment. Dosnt matter what bass i use, I only hear the amp! Of course thats just my ears.(im actually using an old "west" Guitar head at the moment-just so I can hear my bass-and this, Im sure you realize is far from ideal!)
    Thanks again for all the advice, ill let you know what I come up with. Thanks, Brady.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL