1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clean Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Evilyn42, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Evilyn42

Evilyn42

Jun 6, 2018
    Hey y'all. I'm looking around for a nice, clean as hell bass amp with loads of headroom so I can stack pedals on it. Something like a bass equivalent to a Morgan, ya feel?

Looking for something simple, don't need 50 onboard options like the Ashdown Rootmaster stuff (though I'm not opposed to it). What I don't want is that
    SVT-style tube coloration. Nothing against it, just not what I'm looking for.

I know Hartke makes good stuff like the LH1000, but I don't need 1000 watts of power. Is the 500 watt version just as well? I've heard otherwise...

Anyhow, hope y'all can help me out. Price range is under $1,000 but under $700 would be preferable.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Mesa/Boogie Subway D-800+ Lightweight 800W Bass Head

3. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Form Factor Bi1000 or Bi400

I have had a LH1000 and a Darkglass M900

This slays it, clean powerful and presence with an Ampeg type tone stack

There is a thread on here with more info if you search

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    MB 800 Specs

One of the best amps I’ve played through.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello, and welcome to TalkBass. For "clean as hell" at your price point, try the Acoustic Image Clarus SL.

Unaffiliated with them, I recommend buying from Gollihur Music. They are cool people and real bassists who know the gear.

6. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    I have yet to play an amp louder and cleaner than hartke lh500 in its price and power rating range (and far above actually).

Cuzzie likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm more of a tube tone guy so I'm not much help with your question.

I just swung by to to say Welcome to TalkBass @Evilyn42 !!!!

Evilyn42, DrummerwStrings and G-Z like this.
  8. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    Bergantino Forte.

9. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Very simply: Quilter Bass Block 800

Clean, tons of headroom, few tweakable knobs, takes pedals extremely well, under $700, punches heavy

Cuzzie likes this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    This was going to be one of my top recommendations, or the MB-500 if you can get by with less watts - but in most cases more watts equals more clean.

I've also had good experiences with those Hartke LH models, though they use a Fender tone stack, so IMO are a bit less flexible EQ wise, especially compared to the GK EQ section.

Personally I prefer the GK RB line, it's a little heavier (like in the Hartke LH range), but has a nice dry, snappy feel to it - I run a 1001RB because I like the additional wattage to keep things clean as a platform for anything else I put in front of it, which currently is just my VTDI, and it does it's job and does it very, very well. Just something else to consider.

I thought that one of the major selling points of the Quilter Bass Block was that it had a naturally warm tone and broke up nicely when pushed. Legitimately asking - as I had always associated it with something that was being marketed as less pure and clean, but in a good way.

11. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I love my GK 1001RB, at 700 watts. Tons of headroom, and crystal clear unless you want to use the drive feature. At the stuff you need, and no bells and whistles. Just a solid workhorse.

Kro likes this.
  12. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    The tone may be warm-ish and thick but it certainly doesn't breakup unless you max the Gain and even still just barely from my experience. I put a Porkloin in front of it for slight breakup when I want/need it. Otherwise its very clean and authoritative.

Kro likes this.
  13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are starting out I'd probably look at GK MB series (easy to find, should get the job done) although there are tons of great options as people are mentioning.

I think for a pedal platform you want just a little flavor and warmth on the amp. I wouldnt go for the 100% clear/transparent rig unless you are one of those cats.