1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clean bass + distortion ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Champiton, May 18, 2017.

1. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    What pedal can I use that does the following:

Bypass the normal clean bass that comes from the bass or compressor or anything.

Play a power chord one octave up with distortion/overdrive?

This is for when my guitar player play his long solos there's some background "guitar" playing, so it doesn't sound so empty.

Thanks for your input fellas.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Here's your pedal. ;)
    Hamer12bass.

Just kidn. I have no idea. But Welcome to TalkBass!!!

3. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    lol Thanks, I also want to add that obviously I want to be able to turn on/off the "other voice" with distortion part.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

You pretty much have to bi-amp, IMO, to do this. There's no one pedal that will do it. I do it with a "Royal Blood" setup. Different people around TB and elsewhere have their versions, mine goes like this:

Bass signal goes into a MicroPOG. The "dry" out goes through bass pedals to my bass amp. The effects knobs are set for octave up at 100% and everything else at zero. That effected signal goes to an EHX pitchfork set for 5th up with a 50/50 blend. All the pitch-shifting means it pretty much has the tone of a kazoo, so I then run it to either an EHX B9 for organ tones or a fuzz pedal for rock guitar tone, and off to a guitar amp.

That's the only way I know of that will keep the bass signal clean. Otherwise, with just one amp, run a pair of pitchforks, one at octave up and one at 5th up, and play with blend knobs to see if you get something that works.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Akai Unibass!

The pedal itself adds an octave up, then you can hit the second footswitch to add a 5th above the octave to make the power chord. I'm not remembering whether distortion on the octave up is switched or dialed in with a knob, though.

gsquare, bassbrad, Jazz Ad and 2 others like this.
  6. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    Jammadave that pedal looks sweet, it seems that it is out of production though!

7. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't have the $$ to bi-amp, but that sounds pretty good, maybe a little cheap mixer to amp could do the trick? Right?

Isn't there one of those nice multieffect bass pedals (such as boss gt series) like there are for guitar players?

8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Don't jump all over me for posting this 'cos I know next to nothing about pedals....

But......Would this be of any use?.....

J-Bassomatic and Champiton like this.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Could. With one amp, basically you need to split the signals, put effects on one, and then run them back into a single channel together. A mixer could do it, or for that matter two ABY pedals.

I'm not using any heavy-duty guitar amp in my setup, it's a Blues Jr that I got used for $300 or something. That may still be out of budget for you, but you may find yourself getting in the ballpark anyway buying multiple pedals.

Yes there are bass multi pedals, been so long since I've used one I don't know if one has a combination of features to do this or not.

Champiton likes this.
  10. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    andrew, TerribleLiar23 and Champiton like this.
  11. Last edited: May 18, 2017
    TerribleLiar23 and Champiton like this.
  12. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks,

Do you have some kind of video or recording of how your setup sounds like? I'd like to hear it!

thanks.

13. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    Jebberz and the ombuds man,

I am going to look at it, looks promising!

Thanks.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  14. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I am not sure I totally get what your looking for OP but wouldn't a clean blend do the trick on an OD?

15. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    I pulled the trigger on the fishman fission bass powerchord, can't beleive it exists!

TerribleLiar23 and the ombudsman like this.
  16. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    It kinda does the trick, but not quite, I kinda lose that bassy sound, I still want the clean sound of the bass.

17. Whoa, you already got it?

18. Champiton

Champiton

Apr 20, 2017
    Ordered from amazon! will be here on Saturday, supossedly!

If I don't like it I can return it.

19. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Which pedal are you using for this? I know with some made for guitar like the VodooLabs Sparkledrive which is TS based it loses some low end.

But I have also heard it's a simple mod to swap out the cap for a lower valued one that lets more low end through.

There are also pedals made for bass with clean blends that shouldn't lose much if any low end I imagine.

Champiton likes this.
  20. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Might have nab one of these.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.