Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

clean bass or dirty bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Not sound, the bass itself. Do you like your bass so clean and shiny it blinds people when the lights hit it, or are you from the Jamerson camp and belive the funk is in the gunk?

I personally can't handle a beat up, filthy, dead stringed bass. I'd prefer my basses to be immaculate but laziness has me falling somewhere in between.

I tried to make this a poll, but after 3 tries gave up - talbass keeps logging me out.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    speaking of which I have to give my stingray a spit shine, well I prefer super clean basses myself aswell.

4. I keep my basses clean but not immaculate, they do have some funk buildup and dust bunnies in the corners and hard to reach spots, but they aren't greasy nasty cess pools of disease and pestilence.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am kinda like you, Joe.

I like my basses immaculatelyy clean, but due to laziness they are usually somewhere in between.

6. I just run a california duster over mine 2-3 times a month. And I don't usually eat hamburgers while playing, so I don't have messes on my basses. I just keep em dust free, and they stay cleaner.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    due to the amount that i play, how hard i dig in, and how much i sweat when i play my warwick has a nice layer of filth on it - especially after last night's outdoor gig in the SUPER humidity. i HATE new strings, so i must be more in the james jamerson camp i guess.

jason

8. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I don't really like the way a super clean bass looks. It seems like the more beat up it is the better it sounds.

9. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I have 2 basses, very different. My p-bass i keep very clean, rarely use, and never get grease on it. My explorer bass, it's all beat up (looks like it went moshing and lived) and it has a nice layer of grease on it, but relatively new strings.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like my gear to look shiny and clean, and somewhat looking new, I dont wipe or polish the body as often as I should, but I do however make sure to at the very least give the neck and strings a good wipe down after every rehearsal.

11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm a Jamerson dude. I never wipe mine off, and I like old strings. Then again, two of my basses are oil-finished natural wood. I must not have very corrosive sweat, because my hardware never corrodes. A guitarist friend of mine who plays a Tele corrodes everything he touches. His bridge saddles have practically disintegrated due to corrosion, and his strings get all messed up. I leave mine on for a year, and don't have any problems.

I'm the same with my car; I have a 3-year old car that I bought new, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have washed it.

12. I'm more of a Jamerson....

cause well, I got a crappy bass....

NOw, when I get a good bass, thats worth cleaning, I'll shine that mother up.

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    my fingerboard and body are all gunked up with sweat and fingerprints, but I NEVER eat food and then play (or do both at the same time for that matter! :p )

However, I do drool on my bass occasionally - but its not like it sounds! I only do that because I really get into what Im playing and I forget to swallow or close my mouth so spit comes out and lands on my bass. I also get deodorant on it sometimes when Im sitting down playing without a shirt.

14. ... but this thread wouldn't jump into the set-up section?
    :D

15. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I can't stand when fingerprints and smudges cover my basses so I clean them once a week. I just gotta have that showroom shine. :D

16. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I'm the lazy bastard kind of guy. The body has fingerprints all over it and the fingerboard has gunk on it. I did clean it up one time when I got blood all over the pickgaurd (I was afraid of it getting stained). Other than that one time cleanning, I rarely wipe it down or anything. Nothing has corroded or detoriated... yet :p

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    speaking of blood on the pickguard...

one time I was slapping rather agressively and I got a hole in my thumb and blood went all over my bass in little brownish-red dots. Not very nice...

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The way I look @ my bass is it's like my woman!!!! I don't want some stinky, dirty greasy, having other guys sweat all over em woman!!!! The bass is a representation of me. It's gotta be maintained. I'm not talking about chips & dent's. That gives character. I work in a music store & when a preson brings an instrument w/all that $H!T on it & tells me to set it up, etc. I don't even wanna touch the damn thing, much less do work on it!!!! :)

19. I'm a bit of a Felix Unger, but, not with my basses. They must be clean! If you bass is clean, you'll want to play it more. Like Nino said about women, who wants a dirty woman?

Well, after careful consideration...
    This is a G rated forum, so I can't say what I'd like, but, remember a clean bass is a happy bass.

Taking a shower together is a ton of fun though.(The woman, not the bass)

Mike J.

20. I do a quick polish every time after I play it, which is uausally 6 days a week. Well actually I only do that with my good ones, ones like my Ibanez I just leave as they are, if they get five inches of gunk on them o well I dont care, but get any on my LP or Xplorer and it must be ploished until it is blinding to look at it directly.