1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

clean boost//tube amp issue--help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PhatRon, Oct 3, 2013.

1. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.

I have a Lizard Leg blue tail clean boost pedal. It's awesome and clean as I've ever heard. Exactly what I've been looking for. works fantastic (with entire board) when I dial it in with my headphone amp or with my walkabout rig at home. starts to slightly boost at about 10/11:00 on the dial and has a nice smooth wide range up to max.

here's the issue. When I get into my main rig (Fender Bassman 100T) it actually cuts my volume when I kick it in. I have to set the dial quite high to get any volume boost and then there isn't much of usable range.

is the amp acting like a compressor when boost is engaged? If so front end or power section? any ideas? alternatives?

2. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Do you have a compressor in your chain? I can't comment about the Bassman specifically, but that definitely sounds like excess gain from the boost causing some kind of compression to engage.

If that does prove to be the case you could try a boost pedal with separate gain and volume controls, to see if there is some combination of those settings that works better for you.

Could also be an interaction with some other pedal or element of your chain, but it's hard to say without knowing what all you have going on.

3. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    Clean boost is last in chain. Diamond comp is early in the chain. No problems there as make up gain is set fairly close to unity. Also I have a Para eq with boost in front of the comp. I use this boost to even out input signals into the comp.(one of my basses is an L-1000 which is "HOT" compared to my jazz and P). No problems using that boost, I can hear volume levels reacting accordingly.

I will try just isolating the clean boost and see what gives. Will be a shame if this just doesn't fit this rig.