1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Seb Peters, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Hey all,

I'm running either an Ibanez BTB09 or a Hudson PB4 (Curbow Designed) through a Redsub 100w combo, and I was wondering whether there was a pedal that could give me a clean boost?

We play mostly heavy/blues/progressive rock, and there are certain situations in which I'm called upon to slap, but it doesn't come through quite right. My guitarist recommended something like an MXR Micro amp, but I have no idea.

Anyone?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    there are alot of pedals that'll do a clean boost. the MXR micro amp should do it. i prefer the wampler euphoria/ecstasy (and it'll will do alot more too). the Zvex super duper 2n1 is also capable of a clean boost (and both the wampler and Zvex do not lose any low end in the process). alot of compressor pedals can also be used as a clean boost if you just don't use the compression in them.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Clean boost" is a whole category of pedals, just like phaser, flanger, etc. Go to any pedal-selling web store and just click on "clean boost" to see a dozen or more options.

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

The EHX LPB-1 is an inexpensive option (MF lists it at 41 $). Custom Audio Electronics (a Jim Dunlop-Bob Bradshaw joint venture) makes a Boost/Line Driver listed around 100 $. I have no experience with the CAE booster. I've had the EHX pedal for a year, works well for me.

5. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I picked up a used MXR micro amp here on TalkBass. Works great and priced right.

6. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    Check out the Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B. It has a bit of colour and grit to it, but is still more of a clean boost than an overdrive.

It gets a lot of praise, and I believe it would be well suited for the style of music you describe.