Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clean Effects for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fozzy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I'm looking for clen effects fom my bass, like choruses,phasers,phase shifters, flangers. Anyone can suggest what is best for rich , deep tone? Boss, Ibanez, Digitech, DOD pedals are welcome!!

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use a Boss CEB-3 chorus and Akai Intelliphase. They both sound great on bass. The Akai is cheap too($35 at American Musical), big pedal though(Big Muff sized), but it's true bypass and has a touch sensitivity feature(makes the effect go on above or below a set signal level threshold).

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In the group of effects that you have listed, I would heartily recommend the AnalogMan Clone Chorus (with deep/thick option). It is an outstanding chorus, and will give you a very natural sounding chorus (if that makes any sense) while preserving darn near all of your low end (I notice a slight loss).

I haven't found a good flanger yet, but for a phaser, I prefer the original MXR Phase 100. It really has a beautiful sound to it, but unfortunately, you reallly can't hear it on the low end. On the upside, it doesn't seem to suck any lows at all.

Hope this helps, Tom.

4. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    If you were to buy effects that will work nicely on both your bass and your nylon string :
    Would you buy guitar effects or bass effects ?

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you want a dual-duty effect, you will probably have to try them out with both instruments. My guess is that bass effects will have a better chance of doing both. Sometimes guitar effects aren't built to pass the bass sounds and then will sound tinny with a bass connected.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's one nice thing about the AnalogMan Clone Chorus with the deep/thick switch. When engaged, it's a killer bass effect. Disengaged, it's a killer guitar effect!

Tom.