1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clean hands....can't play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by enzedal, Oct 4, 2018.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

I like to use the bar for my head (and hair before I started shaving my head). S***'s even good for using to wet shave my head with an electric shaver. It really is magic.

2. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    You can't be that young if you have owned a rotary phone!
    Have you seen this video of kids trying to figure out how to use one?

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    lol

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I personally can’t stand playing with dirty hands and wash them before and often during playing. Also, heating my hands up in hot water to get the blood flowing before playing is something I’ve done for many years after hearing Stanley Jordan suggest it.

Clean dry hands have extremely little friction; if they didn’t your hands would be causing issues and everything you touch after you washed your hands or took a shower. It’s likely either your strings or your technique that’s adding friction- if you use a light touch, then your fingers don’t “latch” on to anything.

5. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    If the issue you're having is sliding up and down the strings, use a string lubricant. If it's the neck, maybe try a bass with a different finish on the neck.

6. It does kill the head on a beer! Used to do this all the time some 20 years ago...

I like a little natural oil on the hands but sweat has to go. Dry hands—never really had a problem because the oil just returns once I start playing. Fast Fret and other similar products—hated them.

7. Lava

Lava

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    I wash my hands right before hitting the stage. I have found through the years that I have to thoroughly rinse my hands after washing to remove any remaining soap. My fingers felt a little sticky on the strings right after washing and figured out that there was still a trace of soap on my fingers. OCD bass habits.

8. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    Go to CVS or Walgreen's and pick up a travel size of Baby powder. Keep it in your case (I have one for every case) along with a rag. Put a little on your left hand and apply up and down the neck. you will find you can move your hand faster than ever. wipe down the neck with rag if your hand gets sweaty and repeat. end of night wipe down neck and strings. you will thank me in the morning.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No indeed. I’m not that young. But at 63 I’m not quite dead yet.

The funny/sad thing is that I’ve done that with older teens and most took a while to figure it out. Some even couldn’t. Or put more correctly, decided to quit before they did.

On the other hand, a six year old girl I tried it with figured it out in about half a minute. Then announced: “I like this way better!”

Guess she wasn’t fully conditioned for touch screens yet.

It’s all what you’re used to.

And sometimes a “beginner’s mind” has an advantage when confronting something totally unexpected.

Cutter8 and pellomoco14 like this.
  10. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I actually miss rotary phones and those long-ass curly cords that stretch from here to Sunday. Its silly what can make you feel nostalgic.

11. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    "When you need to park a Cadillac in a garage made for a Mini Cooper."

JMacBass65 likes this.
  12. enzedal

enzedal

Aug 27, 2012
    Yeah..I believe it was james jamerson...the funk's in the gunk...he even got fired from some gig because he refused to fit new strings

13. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I got some Fender Speedslick this week. Works on both sides and no problem to the finish. One wipe.
    fender speedslick.

nbsipics likes this.
  14. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Can’t say I have that issue. Sweaty hands is what gives me fits. Try some talc power, good bond, or baby power after washing.

15. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    AFA60D21-B5DD-4C00-A83F-F591EB9FB9EC. My violinist used to use this in place of finger ease or natural face and body oils. I’m not even joking. He said butter flavored Pam worked much better than regular. We fired him.

16. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I hate having dirty hands, playing or not. No problem here...

HOWEVER, you might want to try a product like Finger Ease for your bass. Or... you can try photo print gloves. You not only can get around but never get your hands dirty and serve dinner to the audience immediately afterwards. glove_bass.

Benny Bennett likes this.
  17. Benny Bennett

Benny Bennett

Sep 19, 2018
    I don't play with dirty hands. Messes up the strings. I even carry alchohol wipes to clean my fingers and strings.

vindibona1 likes this.
  18. I never had a problem. dirty or clean. I never really thought about it. Doing dishes, on the other hand... Drying, putting away? No problem. Washing? No chance.

19. dannydabiker

dannydabiker

May 24, 2011
    Baby powder works for this...that and sand away all of that lacquer on the neck and get down to natural wood, then lightly, lightly seal it with tung oil. Using those two will make a HUGE difference!

20. Manuel Bass

Manuel Bass Commercial User

Jun 23, 2017
    No disclosures
    I do not read all the posts so may be this is a dry skin issue