1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clean hands....can't play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by enzedal, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I've used this for years in the sticky summer months when the strings feel like they are coated with tar. A quick spray on the fingers or directly on the strings will cure even the stickiest of strings. Some will spray it on a cloth, but I'll just spray directly on the bass. It won't hurt the finish on any those of bass I've ever used, and it's an absolute life saver when those fingers just won't move.

Baby powder or corn starch will just get gooey and make a mess if there is any water or sweat at all. If you use roundwound strings it will get gunk in the rounds, and a rosewood or similar open grained fretboard will get gunk in it as well. I would avoid it at all costs.

2. cbenedict

cbenedict

Jul 13, 2013

3. cbenedict

cbenedict

Jul 13, 2013

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I make it a point to always do a "make sure" trip before going on stage- always a good idea to be prepared, just in case things go long, or you were closer to an "event" than you thought. And after that, I always wash my hands, so I always go on stage with clean hands...no problem.

Nashrakh likes this.
  5. drifter grey

drifter grey

Dec 11, 2016
    I know what you mean. Immediately after washing my hands they usually feel cold, dry and not comfortable to use. Maybe the dry climate doesn't help. Warm hands are better.

6. brainiac

brainiac

Oct 4, 2005
    HaHa! This is priceless! The bass player's lament! True, clean hands don't usually help your fingers while playing. Little secret: along both sides of your nose, or somewhere up along your hair line will be a spot that is oily. Don't be timid about getting your fingers into those places before taking the stage! I never felt comfortable playing with cold hands, so I always go run some hot water in the RR and warm them up. THEN I rub my fingers along my nostrils and VOILA! Good to go! Hope this isn't too graphic for some of you cleanliness freaks! HaHa! I never envisioned revealing this most personal of bass player habits!

7. Can't say I've noticed any difference. Certainly wouldn't want lotion or oil on my bass, especially on the strings!

8. Nope - sorry I don't agree with you.

9. armint

armint

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm playing bass since 1981 now and I always tried to have my hands clean and dry before playing.
    So, my standard routine on a gig is to set up the gear, eat and then clean my hands with (nearly cold) water and a little bit of soap. Then I dry my hands by either what is supplied in the washing room or I'll take my own towel - which is always in my gigging gear.
    Never have a problem with stickiness - or let's say: I got rid of any problems:
    a) always use the same kind of strings which I chose because to me they do not feel sticky: RC Cocco in SST and Nickel
    b) sanded off sticky necks
    c) avoid shaking hands with everybody and his grandma before the gig.
    d) do not drink anything sticky during the gig (which reduces it down to water - sigh)

10. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Body oils could be corrosive and also dry to a dulling crust.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  11. Never heard of such a thing.
    Just play your guitar and forget about it ....

12. Edward White

Edward White Simba Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2018
    New York City
    The fault may not be in ourselves, but in our strings, if I can be forgiven a corny plagiarism. Sometimes when my fingers won't move over the strings worth a damn I rub down the strings, and the back of the bass neck, with Finger-ease. I find that this works quite well on some types of strings (I use mainly black tape wrapped for fretless bass).

13. fiveoffour

fiveoffour

Mar 21, 2013
    This is absurd. I can't play if my hands aren't clean.

14. Garybanlowe

Garybanlowe

Apr 16, 2016
    and an extra benefit is, no one in their right mind will ever try to steal your bass.

Jolagh likes this.
  15. Jolagh

Jolagh

Nov 29, 2012
    You may be surprised to find out how hard the bass is to hold onto after a gig.

16. alpan254

alpan254

Sep 2, 2013
    use special gloves for bass players , I do in both hands but you can use just in a left hand

17. alpan254

alpan254

Sep 2, 2013
    no good for the strings

18. alpan254

alpan254

Sep 2, 2013
    i did and my strings getting really dead

19. I noticed it's really hard playing bass after mixing concrete. The cement dust on your hands makes your hand get stuck along the neck instead of sliding smoothly...

20. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    I wash my hands before every set. if they're dirty or sticky from dealing with cords or sweat it slows me down. also it reduces the crud that tends to collect on strings and deadens them.