Clean low end, small/medium gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FlabbaFan, Jun 12, 2021.

1. FlabbaFan

FlabbaFan

Dec 8, 2004
    Hi! I play an older G&L L-1000 with the OMG mode always engaged. I have no interest in overdrive on the bass, just full, round, clean lows and mids. Play lots of reggae and soul, so note definition and beef is crucial. Play with fingers only. Again, growl doesn't interest me, but undefined muddiness is bad lol.

I grew up playing bass, that's my musical soul. But I've been gigging as a guitarist since the 90s. Lately I've been hired for some excellent bass gigs and I have no rig. I don't need massive volume and I play with tasteful, clean playing musicians so I don't have to fight the volume wars with bandmates. Some of these gigs are outdoors, but in smaller parks/venues. Other gigs will be in clubs or bars.

I was thinking a 2x10 cab plus head might be appropriate. Maybe a 1x12? 1x15? 2x12? Please suggest an amp or head/cab. Must be below $1000, preferably way below. Thanks!

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I use a 12” CMD Markbass combo, with “tasteful Clean playing musicians” (low stage volume.) ive also used the 210 version and sounds fantastic. I love my 12 but 210 is probably a safer bet. I think these amps Really hit your tone goals but are on the top end of your budget.

For less, I love the Rumble 500, but some do find it muddy. Peavey Max 300, or GK MB 210 also come to mind.

Shop used and you can consider entering the head/cab game. Best of luck!

4. Buy used.
    There is a never ending supply of players changing gear, fads change, etc.

Unless you are a drop-tuner, low E (41 Hz) is the bottom of your range.
    There is no point in using a larger/bigger box that handles low B, if you never go there.

After doing this for a lot of years, I prefer separates.
    Mix and match speaker cabs as the gig requires.
    I suggest multiple cabs of the same type that you can stack when going loud or outdoors.
    The intent of multiple speaker cabs is getting clean sound without over driving them.
    If you can stack them so the woofer and any midrange/or tweeter are aligned, so much the better.

I carry a plastic rack and Tech 21 rack preamps with a Crest power amp.
    This lets me grab and go, with a known set of electronics.
    This is not as flexible as a board full of pedals, not as much a PITA as a board full of pedals.

There are as many suggestions as there are fans of those cabs.

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Not much goes cleanly lower than an Acme B2 210. Just make sure you get the 8 ohms version and power it with 400 watts or more.

bearhart74, james condino and Ampslut like this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    This really is the best advice.

I got the Markbass combo (that I mentioned above) and the extension cabinet for $800- which is around 1/2 of MSRP

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. FlabbaFan

FlabbaFan

Dec 8, 2004
    Thanks, folks.
    I'm definitely interested in buying used, I've done that with all my guitar gear as well as my two basses. I saw a GK MB500 head for $400 locally, and was wondering if there was suitable 2x10 cab that might complement it well. My understanding is that this amp has clean lows (?) Even if I bought the cab new, it seems like it should be feasible with a $400 head to get the whole rig for <$1000, no?

DJ Bebop, eriky4003, jchrisk1 and 2 others like this.
  8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    +1 on MarkBass

CallMeAl likes this.
  9. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I know a guy in town that runs that head with 2 Markbass 112s, sounds fantastic. The GK cabs would be a logical choice- if you can’t find the neo’s in your price point, the CX cabs are nice as well.

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    400 bucks is too much for that head used and the prices of good new cabs is going UP. That's why I mentioned a combo. Revsound's RS210 was a great value cab but now it's up to 790 bucks. All the good cabs are EXPENSIVE. A Fender Rumble 500 combo is a great bang for buck unit. My buddy's been using one for the last few years and it cranks. He's a very good fingerstyle rock player and pushes the amp.

BassNugget likes this.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    ACME's are great but the costs are high end. Here's one in very good condition for 565 bucks. That's a testament to quality, it holds it's value.
    Acme Low B2 Bass Cabinet 210 2 X10 4 Ohm | MUSIC WORKS | Reverb

Zooberwerx likes this.
  12. Now wait, OP.does not need volume and is not competing for sound in the mix per the OP's words. Why not a combo like the Fender Rumble 500? Reggae and soul are the main genres. Rumbles excel at that and, depending on the bass more than anything, are plenty defined for the genres.

OP could probably get away with the Rumble 100 for all gigs except outside where he needs to DI to the mains or be using something like the Rumble 500.

Another choice could be the Peavey Max 250. That Cosmos C switch brings some hella bass. Anyhow, those are my thoughts based on the first post.

13. I thought about cab and head under $1,000.00 new: Peavey MiniMax V2 and an Avatar SB126. $800.00 ish before shipping and taxes.

jeff7bass and eriky4003 like this.
  14. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    You can always use a high pass
    Filter to cleanup up boomy lows too.
    I have a Broughton and it works wonders.

15. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Genz Benz NEOX 212!!! It's a wonderful cabinet for clean, clear low end and low mid beef.

16. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    A Rumble 500 combo should have plenty of volume and presence, but if you want some more audio and visual bigness for reggae, you could add a Rumble series 2x10 extension cab to make a stack.

I kinda feel that for reggae, even if the bandmates are tasteful, the bass player oughta be pushing it just a little. Rumble 500 is very loud.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Ampslut, BassNugget and Redbrangus like this.
  17. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Fender Rumble 500 combo. I'd add some kind of external eq like the Boss GEB-7, or any decent eq, just to have a wider level of tone control.

BassNugget and jeff7bass like this.
  18. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    jeff7bass likes this.
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's a GREAT deal.

20. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I love my ACME cabs & my family is from Italy, but....... why would you post a link to a waaaayyyyyyy overpriced used cab in Italy with $196 shipping that has no reflection of the US market?

There are plenty of nice class D amps and cabs that can be used for both guitar and bass; look for those.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021