Clean low end, small/medium gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FlabbaFan, Jun 12, 2021.

1. ahbradot

ahbradot

Dec 14, 2019
    Florida
    Here is my 2x10 500w Markbass clean tone;
    ninja_102_500_front_sito.png__1980x1980_q85_subsampling-2.png

DJ Bebop and CallMeAl like this.
  2. Sierra Hotel

Sierra Hotel Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Northeast US
    None
    +1 for both the Markbass and Fender combos. I play in a couple bands with different genres (country/Americana and classic rock), and use the Markbass CMD102P (2 x 10 combo, 350w) for the rock band, and use the Fender Rumble 500 (2 x 10 cab, 350w) for the other band. I have the Rumble 210 cabinet I can add for larger (outdoor) gigs. I am 100% confident in either rig for either band. The Rumble is the best bang for the buck, but I got the Markbass at an auction for $300 - a steal, as used they normally go for twice that.

CallMeAl likes this.
  3. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Any modern amplifier has 'clean lows'; the deficiencies are in the speaker systems. The Rumble 500 recommendation is plenty workable for the situation described, IMO, and especially if you add the extension cab for reggae --you can accomplish that in stages, if necessary. For my own taste, I'd go for a small-format Class-D head and two single cabs -- a couple of modern, Uber-ish 112s or 115s. Again, you can do that in stages if you need to, and I think a modular concept would be advantageous for the situations described.

I'm happy enough with the TC BQ-500 I bought for 2 bills as an open-box deal at the Banjo Center; I think that would be adequate enough for the situation, but there are a lot of "500-watt" Class-D amps out there.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    BassNugget likes this.
  4. Mesa Subway D-800 head and Subway 115 cab. You can thank me later.

jeff7bass, DJ Bebop and Indiana Mike like this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've got a couple spares I'll sell on-the-cheap provided the OP picks them up or arranges a "pony express" to the desired destination. Great cabs but heavier than hell compared to the new stuff on the market.

Riis

6. This is what I use everywhere; only with an SB112 rather than the similar but likely better SB126. It is a great rig. Avatars are indestructible and not very heavy (I'm 70 and the 39 lbs is still not a problem). The Minimax has been an unbelievable workhorse, sometimes in awful and unpredictable FL weather. I use a Hartke TX300 as a backup. The latter is quieter but not noticeably lower in volume despite the 200 watts at 8 ohms rating. It is a bit more bass-heavy than the Minimax, though the Mini lows can be boosted with the "punch" button.

jeff7bass and BassNugget like this.
  7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I think I sold mine for $100.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nowhere near his budget, but I agree that if possible, it would be worth it.

9. Chris Breese

Chris Breese Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    Farmington, IL USA
    Fender Rumble 500 will get it done.

10. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey

I use a pair of Aguilar GS112's powered by a GK Fusion 500 for most gigs. The 12's have a relatively small footprint stacked vertical but the sound is huge and clear.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO 500 watts, a good 112 and an option on a second 112 at a later date.

I use Aguilar amps and Barefaced cabs, but there are a lot of great options out there these days.

12. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    if you are patient you can find them cheap. I bought both of mine for under 200 each

james condino and jeff7bass like this.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    perhaps a small combo amp and a small powered sub will work

14. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    I always preferred combos.

I play mainly motown and other 1960s stuff. My Traynor combos are wonderful, very similar to GK but cleaner. EQ neutral gives me full round articulate tone even with precision bass tone open.

Fender Rumbles are muddy muffled and clanky no matter what I tried.

I wouldn’t mind trying the new Ampeg Rocket Bass combos.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Because Rumble 500 is the direct opposite of what the OP is looking for.

He said mud is bad...equals no Rumble.

I would get a Hartke HD combo or GK combo.

The new Ampeg Rocket combos look interesting, but haven't had a chance to try one out yet.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  16. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Rumble is not what the OP is asking for. Total opposite

butterfingers1 likes this.
  17. My bad... I guess I missed the budget part!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't want anything less than a 2x12 and 300 watts for reggae. Preferably 500 watts.

DJ Bebop and butterfingers1 like this.
  19. Funny, I don't get mud with my Rumble 100. But as I said, it may also be dependent on the bass. I play MusicMan basses and understand that 12 O'clock on the rumble is not "flat." It is vintage-ey, and with eq I can get a good dub sound. *Shrug* But everyone may have their opinion.

20. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Maybe room acoustics plays a part. Rumbles sound fine when I try them in stores. Traynor and GK sound a bit harsh on their own and in stores.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021