Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clean or effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hexanity, Sep 4, 2001.

1. always clean

98 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. always effects

15 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. mix of both

191 vote(s)
    61.2%
  4. wat are effects?

8 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. ummm i was wondering who perfers to play wid the effects pedals or without

i personally play perfer playing clean but effects are kool 2 but i dont use them much in my songs

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Clean 90% of the time. Compressor, some distortion, reverb, chorus occasionally.

3. I usually keep my LMB-3 Limiter/Enhancer on 100% of the time. Makes that much difference to me. Helps even out the slap tones. Then I'll use my ODB-3 As a 2 band EQ + Gain for better solo slap tone. The SYB-3 gets the nod for 80's and dance songs (Think Pure Energy, Information society) and the chorus works to boost sonic attack as well.

But Don't get me wrong, I won't depend on them. Sometimes all I do is bring my LMB-3 and the TU-2 Tuner. But the others help fill out songs. Put on a show.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Spell and Grammer checker

I prefer to use just the amp and whatever its got on it. I use a limiter on my combo and set the gain high on the head for touch sensitive distortion.

I have used a Boss CE2 on fretless once but cannot be bothered to hook it up.

5. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Always clean - you can't polish a turd!

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Actually you can, but then all you have is a shiney turd.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Joking aside there is a tendancy to think that an effects pedal is a tone rescuer. I play guitar as well and the big hair and leather trouser brigade are even worse. "My boutique overdrive wont make my Peavey Rage sound like Metallica!"

Any form of processing comes further down the list than leads and tuners IMHO

8. 80+ % of the time with little bit overdrive, sometimes clean..

9. Mostly raunchy sounds with mild overdrive or those synthesized cherps, bleeps and blurps, when the songs are softer and everything eases up I play 100% clean and slow down a bit on the tempo. I mostly just go where the song takes me, but I just love playing arround with effects {toys}.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I tend to go through "tone phases" where I'll play clean for a while and then for a while I'll go back to effects just for the fun of them, but then I'll think "effects are for weenies" and go clean... and repeat the whole process over and over...

11. about 60/40 for the effects

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like to have my BBE Sonic Maximizer on most of the time, along with a little bit of soft-knee compression. Works really good for home recording and when I need a 'studio tone' on a gig.
    I use a Zoom 9030 at home, but solely as a preamp.

I rarely use 'real' FX, but when I do it's my Danelectro Cool Cat Stereo Chorus and my Boss OC-2 Octaver, nice, especially with fretless.

If I want weird, I go for my Boss BF-2 Flanger.

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    75% clean----25% dirty, I mean, overdrive :D

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The SansAmp Bass Driver, 100% of the time, don't leave home or stay at home without it, if you want to consider it an effects unit.

Why not always use it when it bruises listeners??? :D

I always leave some compression dialed in, too.

15. id say im about %60 clean, %40effects with the band and 75%effects and 25% clean at home.

16. It depends on the songs, and also on what mood I'm in. I've been known to go through an entire concert with the Grunge pedal on.

Oh, and I got:

DOD FX-69 Grunge Pedal
    Snarling Dogs Whine-O Wah
    Ibanez SM-7 Smash Box
    DOD DL-7 Delay

Rock on
    Eric

17. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I always have my pedal on, but I play mostly with an effect that sounds the cleanest, a soung my regular amp could not produce. Other times I play flanger in the beginning of the song, then switch to a clean effect.

18. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    seems how the only pedal i own is a wah ....... im clean 90% of the time. i borrow a fuzz a lot.

19. 100% clean.

20. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I donno, sometimes i'll play clean alot, then i'll mess with my amp's phaser a lil bit (it stops working on the note about low G# or so, so you hear my note and the phaser going wawawawa) and i like messing with my "death metal" distortion pedal, it has a low, mid, high, and level, no gain control, its cool though. And i have a ZOOM506II that my guitarist uses. Its fun to tweak with sometimes, but i get pissed off, i also have a cry baby guitar wah, it stops working on the low notes too. Sometimes, i'll turn my pregain on my amp up all the way, and my distortion pedal, and my phaser, and mess with my wah and get some f***ed up sounds out of my aria pro.