Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clean Sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by naveman, Mar 2, 2004.

1. naveman

naveman

Mar 2, 2004
    I have active pickups and i play with my fingers. Usually right over the pick ups because that's where i get the best tone. I also get a lot of rattling and banging noise from the strings though. Anybody have any tips on playing technique that minimizes this?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Do you use a strong attack? If so, try and lighten up or raise the action.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I'm guessing that when you're playing, you sort of hit the string with your finger, instead of getting underneath it and plucking it up.

It's kind of a tough habit to break, but once you do everything will sound much better. Lightening your attack might also help.

Oh yeah, and depending on how your bass is set up, that could be a big factor.

4. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Could be your left hand technique , too. Make sure you're pressing down the string just before the fret. For optimal sound it is also important that use the fingertip for pressing down, as well as keeping the knuckles bent so your fingers are arched.

Good luck,
    /lovebown

5. :) Had the same problem not long ago. I play in the same spot and intentionally lowered the action on my basses to help me lighten my right hand attack. I'm way faster and cleaner since doing that. You might give that a whirl.

6. I don't think you should raise the action, but try plucking really really lightly, and turn your amp up a bit more. You should get a cleaner sound. It's also important no matter how hard you pluck, to minimize motion with both your hands as much as possible.