Clean sounding, accurate cabs for small room?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Jul 29, 2006.

1. I am looking for recommendations for a pair of small (12"?) cabs that will "do it all" in a small room - basically my livingroom. They would have to carry a live practice session and maybe some pre-recorded material. I am looking for "hi-fi" accuracy, not just SPL's. EV and Mackie have some nice cabs I have tried out and IMO have a nicer sound than Peavey, Yamaha, etc., although we used a pair of Peavey Impulse 500's - could not kill them for several years, but dont't think their new versions would cut it for what we need. So... the upper end dispersion needs to be on the wide side (short throw horn). Bass output is not needed, but good mids are. Just looking to hear it all, with good imaging, accuracy, freedom from peaks, mud, and all that!
    Recommendations please!

2. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    ever try something with 8's in it?

3. yeah sure, but what? I only have had experience with 12's. A way back I had a used pair of some custom 8" 2-way "stereo" home type speakers but those would not cut it I don't think. I played with Fender's little combo type sound system that come on a pair of sticks but I sounded horribly cheap to me.

4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    man get a pair of epifani ul 112s, you wont regret it :D

Dave

5. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    UL112(s) all the way!
    The UL110/UL112 combo is great, too!

6. Yeah aren't those made for upright players?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nope. Anyone.

8. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    EBS Neo 12 or even 10

9. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Passive or Active? What do you have on the front end (PA, EQ, Comps, Amps, Drive Racks...)?

You mentioned Mackie, I would go for like some JBL EON G2 series. Last I checked, they had a 10"+Horn and a 15"+Horn model. These sound fantastic if used properly.

10. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i dont know, i have heard of quite a few guys using them, with an AI head they would probably work really well, have you tried them out?

Dave

11. It's a conventional setup with Mackie mixer and CS-800s pwr amp. It's a stereo setup now where we could run a mix through and have stereo output since the amp is 2-channel.

12. Are you talking about a cab for your bass?
    Or are you talking about a PA cab??

My vote is for AccuGroove Tri112. The best sounding bass cab I ever heard for audio playback.

13. I was wondering that too. Sounds like he needs PA cabs... I like Mackie's stuff a lot in that case. I might even try to sell the power amp - or use it for your bass rig :) - and buy the powered Mackie speakers.

14. yes, quality PA cabs for sure! More like able to serve as studio monitors, mainly don't need to cut through with a high-directivity compression horn.

15. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    Schertler PUB 2/280's are my favorite powered PA/monitor speaker.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    how much do you want to spend?

sounds like you want a neutral and unhyped kind of bass sound.

on the relatively cheap end are Acme cabs. specs that hit a healthy 30Hz is quite nice. my pair of B1's are great for BBQ's, and make my iPod sound waaay better than it should. my B2 has been a long time staple of my smaller gigging needs.

on other end is accugroove, which have a similar mojo, but much pricier that to some is quite justified.

then again, you could always just plug into the PA. *shrug*

www.acmebass.com
    www.accugroove.com

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    serious,

one of the few cabs where i didnt need to make any EQ adjustments whatsoever.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021