1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clean sounding rest strokes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by simonchupon, Mar 26, 2009.

1. simonchupon

simonchupon

Mar 26, 2009
    Hi all.

Please could someone give me some advice on how to avoid getting a thudding sound I get when playing rest strokes. Every time I pluck say the D string and rest on the E a faint (but audible) thud sound comes out. I though it was me plucking too hard but even when playing very lightly I still get that unwanted sound.

I play mostly over the bridge pick-up on a US JB where the thud is a lot more audible. When I play over the other pick-up its less noticeable. Its strange though to see players who can play with such a clean sound using rest strokes whilst playing next to the bridge. I've watched Rocco Prestia who plucks fairly hard using rest strokes and his sound is so clean........

I use headphones almost exclusively (house share rules :meh:). I thought maybe it'd be less audible without them. Unfortunately its not.

I know I must be doing something wrong if so many players can do this whilst maintaining a clean sound. Any help is much appreciated.

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Can you film yourself playing and post it to the 'Toob - then we can all have a look and see if we can help?

3. Yeah, this could be a lot of things - technique, pickups too high, action, finger position, muting, etc.